CHAPTER 10

NOCTURNAL - THE BOX FULL OF MEMORIES

"It's good, right?" I nodded my head and took another small bite of the chocolate chip cookie.

Alex bakes really well. He can make different kinds of pastries such as cookies, brownies, and cupcakes. He is indeed talented while I couldn't even perfect sunny side up. That's how useless I am when it comes to cooking.

"Alex is also good at cleaning and keeping the house intact. We don't even need to hire maids in the house. That's how reliable my son is." His mom proudly said.

Biglang napaubo si Alex kaya kaagad siyang inabutan ng malamig na tubig ng mom niya. Umiling siya at nag-iwas ng tingin sa akin.

"Mom, that's embarrassing to say." He whispered but I obviously heard it 'cause I'm practically sitting in front of him.

His mom is sitting next to him, looking joyous and cheerful. I wish my mom was like her too. Alex's mom is glowing and she's very brilliant just like the sun beaming from every corner of their home.

"It's not! I'm proud of you so I'm showing you off to Brooke!" She looked at me and then plastered a sweet smile.

I didn't know what to answer so I just nodded my head in response. He should be grateful for having a mom like her that is proud of him and his skills.

"Alex is also reliable in school. He helped our class during a play to one of our subjects. He is also willing to help others who are in need." I said and continue eating.

These cookies taste so good. I wonder if I can bring some later. But that would be so embarrassing. I guess I'll need to learn how to cook as soon as possible. I want my mom to be proud of me as well.

"Oh! He's the student council President after all, but you seem to know him so well, Brooke." Her Mom's voice changed.

Parang nang-aasar. I know because I've heard that kind of tone before from someone familiar.

I cleared my throat and looked away. I saw how Alex shook his head.

"Mom, stop it please. You're making Brooke uncomfortable." He said worriedly on my account. Well, I'm not feeling uncomfortably, actually. It just feels weird for some reason.

Yumuko na lang ako at uminom ng tubig. I've been here for an hour or so and I clearly have no idea if Felix has continue to look for the house but I do hope he did. Sana mahanap niya na talaga dahil ayokong maabutan ng gabi na nasa labas pa ako. Mom will scold me if that happens.

"Oh, by the way Brooke, how tall are you?" She asked out of the blue.

"Uh, I'm 5' 8'' po." Sagot ko naman.

I'm not really proud of my height. It's too tall for an average height of a girl.

Her eyes widened a bit. She then looked at Alex who was sitting silently beside her.

"Wow! Alex here is 5' 10''? Am I right, son?"

Tumingin sa kaniya si Alex at napakamot ng ulo. "Yes, Mom. It's not my final height, though. I'm still growing." Mahina niyang sambit.

Oh, right. Alex's height is almost the same as mine. I'm sure that's not his final height. He'll grow taller eventually.

"You're so tall, Brooke. It really looks good on your pretty little face." She chuckled.

I'm not used in receiving any form of complements about my height and my face so I just smile a little as response to her remarks.

"Sana maging kasing ganda mo ang baby ko. Si Alex kasi nagmana siya sa Daddy niya. Pati na rin sa ugali. Hindi sila madaling magalit at mapikon kaya ang sarap nilang asarin." Natatawang saad ng Mom niya at saka humalakhak.