CHAPTER 44

NOCTURNAL - MARTIN SINGH

"I need to tell you something important."

"What is it?"

"Please tell me you're ready to hear this."

"I am ready. Why?"

I honestly have no idea where to start. Tito Sebastian who was his friend in high school could be the main suspect about the incident that occurred inside the forest where Felix used to take refuge. Breaking the news to him might tore his heart but I have no choice but to tell him the truth. We are not experts when it comes to investigating, however, Tito Sebastian can be considered as one of the suspects and we have evidence to prove my assumptions.

"Do you remember the key that we found in the forest? The key that I was keeping with me?" For starters, asking basic questions will help him remember something that I had already told him before.

I don't want to rush him about this topic and neither do I intend to hide it from him. Who would've thought that the person who you trusted the most when you were still alive turns out to be the man who destroyed your home. Tito Sebastian was suspicious because of his bruises all over his arms but I can't just assume that he's the one who burned down the forest without having proper evidences.

"Yes? You said that the owner of that key could be the one who harmed the forest, right? What about it?" He sounded confuse.

I cleared my throat while caressing Momo's fur. We are currently here inside of my room and Mom isn't back from work yet. The day after tomorrow is Mr. Martinez's birthday party and I bet she's already excited about it. She can do whatever she pleases and I'll do what I want in return. It's just so hard for me to take in when she keeps on bossing me around and telling me what to do that'd only satisfy herself.

"U-Uh, I finally found out the identity of the owner." and it was Tito Sebastian.

I witnessed how his eyes grew widely in astonishment. He even got up from the bed and was about to hug me when he automatically slipped out of my body. Crazy ghost.

"That's great news, Brooke! How'd you find out, anyway? Who was it? Do I know them?" The coldness coming from Felix spread all throughout my body. I felt him from my behind, trying to hug me and Momo out of overwhelming joy.

His happiness is killing me. Now that he's acting this way, how can I tell him that the owner of that key was his friend? I feel like my heart is being ripped out of my chest while visualising him speechless after telling him the truth.

"You know him very well Felix but for sure you'll be surprised once you hear the name of the owner." I can't helped but to prolong our conversation.

My tongue wouldn't let me spill his name. It's infuriating. Why do I have to protect his feelings when this is the right time for him to learn about the truth? Confessing is like hurting him in a good way.

"Just tell me already, Brooke. Kinakabahan na tuloy akong malaman kung sino ba 'yang tinutukoy mo na kakilala ko rin. I'm totally fine so just say it and I'll be cool with it. I promise." He even raised his right hand to show me that he'll keep his words as a promise to him and I.

Fine, if this is what he wants.

"The owner of the key is Tito Sebastian." I said in a monotone voice while staring at him who was already in a state of shock before I even blabber the name.

Bumagsak ang kaniyang panga at mukhang nawalan na yata ng boses para makapagsalita pang muli. Inaasahan ko na ang ganitong reaksyon galing sa kaniya ngunit masakit pa rin pala isipin na ang taong itinuring mong kaibigan at pinagkatiwalaan mo ay nakagawa ng ganoong bagay sa nananahimik na kagubatan.