CHAPTER 39

NOCTURNAL - ACTING UP

"What did you say?"

"I've had enough, Mom." I aggressively stood up and was fully ready to walk away when she suddenly captured my left elbow.

The physical pain that she's inflicting to me right now is nothing compared to the emotional pain that I feel everyday ever since my father had crossed the other side of life.

I let her mark me with her long fingernails to brief her that I'm already an independent woman who can create life decisions on her own.

Devon who was sitting next to me remained silent but his eyes were telling me that I should leave the rest to him 'cause he's going to restrain my Mom for being an abusive mother to me.

Mr. Martinez is caressing my Mom's shoulder while whispering something in her ear just to calm her down.

"I didn't raise you to speak up to me like that, Brooke. Why are you doing this to me? I'm your Mother. I can do whatever I want with your life because I care for you and I love you! Can't you understand that?!" Her sweet voice unexpectedly vanished.

Tears are starting to fall from her compelling eyes down to her plump cheeks. Watching her cry is the most painful scene for me. Dad wouldn't even make her feel lonely whenever we're together but look at what I'm doing to her right now.

Yes, I undoubtedly admit that I'm not a perfect daughter. I make mistakes and my resolve is not strong enough to stand up on my own without her assistance.

"I'm just your daughter, Mom. I'm not your property. Please keep that in mind." Kinalas ko ang pagkakahawak niya sa kamay ko at tumakbo paakyat sa hagdan.

I heard her screaming my name, followed by the deafening sound of the plates being broken down into pieces. Mr. Martinez voice emerged, convincing my Mom to relax.

It was not my intention to ruin this dinner. Not when that guy's about to propose to her tonight. I was immature, I know. I shouldn't have said that when I'm completely aware that she got easily mad at me every time I speak up for myself.

My hands were shaking while opening the door. Once I busted it open, I hurriedly ran inside and slumped on the bed.

Can I just stay like this forever? I'm exhausted. My Dad used to tell me that life is going to be alright if you know how to take a rest when you're tired. I never thought about it in the past but applying it now seems impossible.

When will I find true happiness again? Is it before the day I die? All I wanted is a peaceful life with the people I hold dear but why do I feel like I'm the one who keeps pushing away that dream?

Am I the problem here?

If only we were close to each other, I doubt all of these would ever happen.

Staring at the ceiling right above me feels so cold and empty. Why did she own a room that doesn't even match her attitude and personality? I thought she was the campus crush? Everyone adored her and would die just to be her boyfriend.

I sometimes wonder if she truly loves my Dad in the past. Her eyes weren't sparkling when she was staring at my father but with Mr. Martinez, I thought for a second that I was watching a dramatic scene from a romance film.

Life is too complicated. I wanted to live the way I want, not with the way my Mom wants me to.

Bzzt! Bzzt!

Kinapa ko ang phone ko sa ibabaw ng side table. Who could this be, calling me at this hour?

I wiped the leftover tears hanging on the side of my eyes before giving my greetings to the caller. "Hello? Who's this?"