CHAPTER 30

NOCTURNAL – APOLLO REY CERVANTES

“What are we doing here?”

“We’re searching for something.”

“What something?”

“Just follow me, okay?”

This ghost is pretty dense sometimes. It makes me want to slap him in the face.

As of the moment, Felix and I are here inside the forest that got burned down a few days ago. The fire incident is still fresh and even now, I can still smell some leftover smoke surrounding the whole place.

I literally have no idea what we’re looking for right now. He said that he saw some guys sneaked around the forest the night before it got turned into ashes. I believe him that’s why I’m here with him finding necessary clues behind the unfortunate event that had happened.

We’ve been here for almost 2 hours but we still couldn’t find any single lead. I’m freaking thirsty and I badly want to take a nap on my soft bed.

“Hey Felix, are you really sure you saw some guys sneaked around from here?” I asked and picked up a tree branch on the ground.

My flip-flops are slippery due to the muddy ground. It rained yesterday that’s why the forest’s soil got turned into muds.

“Yeah, I’m definitely sure. When I was sitting in the front yard of your house, there were two suspicious guys who entered the forest. I wanted to follow them but I chose to remain sitted just in case they barged inside your house.” I could barely hear his voice.

He’s walking too fast. Is he in a hurry? If I caught up to him, I’m gonna hit his head, his skull would break.

“Maybe they’re the ones responsible for what happened here. In any case, let’s go find some evidence that will be useful when the police comes to investigate.” I walked next to him and we take a turn on the left side of the forest.

This area is quite secluded and people won’t definitely see this place if they’re not cautious with their surroundings.

I really can’t believe this would happen. It’s all too sudden and I have a hunch that everything was all planned. Whoever did this, I’ll make sure they’ll pay for it big time.

“Hey, Felix...”

“Hmm?”

I watched him wander his eyes around the tall trees that used to be greener than green. I still haven’t talked to him about what happened that night. I don’t want to see him cry if he’ll try to reminisce those days he spent here inside the forest.

“Are you sad?” I asked awkwardly.

I saw him faced me through my peripheral vision.

"Huh? Why would I be?" He began laughing. He’s forcing himself to laugh just to avoid my question.

I faced him. I saw tears falling down from his cheeks. I knew it.

“Just let it all out. I’m here to listen and comfort you so don’t be shy and express what you truly feel.” I can’t stand seeing him so dreadful. And now I feel like I’m about to cry too.

This is now or never. For the record, I don’t really want to do this. It won’t benefit me after all. Felix on the other hand, needs to do this in order for him to completely move on.

It saddens me seeing him so depressed after what happened to the place he holds dear.

“Brooke, stop convincing me to cry my heart out. It’s not so pleasing to see. Well, I know that you already saw me cried twice but it’ll gonna be different this time so I suggest that we continue our search for the leads instead, okay?” His voice cracked.