CHAPTER 53

NOCTURNAL – DEPARTURE

The pool party yesterday was a huge success. I very much enjoyed every minute that I had with them. They were all glad to know that Franco had entrusted them with his secret that he was keeping to himself when he was only a seven-year-old boy. Spending time with my classmates doesn't happen everyday and generally speaking, Franco was the one who’s always making that happen. He truly deserves a huge amount of gratitude.

“Brooke, can you take out the trash for me please?” Mom yelled inside the kitchen.

I seriously have no idea what’s gotten into her, but today she’s been acting peculiar, being sweet and all when she doesn’t totally agree with me leaving to Manila.

“Okay.” I answered nonchalantly as I stood up from the one-seater sofa to grab the trash bag near the kitchen sink.

Ate Ria was busy washing the dishes and Mom on the other hand, was planning to cook something for my lunch that I’ll be bringing with me later. I walked out of the house and then opened the main door, crossing the path that leads to the closed gate. As soon as I open it, a humongous shadow of a man appeared out of nowhere, towering before me.

My forehead knitted while weirdly staring at his unexplainable expression. “What are you doing here, Police officer Frederick?”

“Mag-iingat ka pagdating mo sa Manila, Brooke. Hindi mo kilala ang mga makakasalamuha mo sa lugar na iyon.” He said sternly.

“What?”

What does that even mean? I need to be careful? What for?

Bumuga siya ng hangin at saka may idinukot sa loob ng kaniyang bulsa. Halos lumuwa ang mga mata ko nang makita ang mukha ni Felix sa litratong kupas na may maliit na punit sa ibabang parte. Binalik ko ang tingin kay Frederick at biglang lumitaw ang lungkot sa kaniyang mga mata.

“How’d you know him?” I asked, almost in a whisper.

Why does he have to show Felix’s face to me this way? I miss him, okay? I really do! For the love of God, I won’t even deny it. I wanted to go look for him so that I can bid him goodbye but he doesn’t want to see me anymore. Why are you doing this to me, Felix? I was just trying to help you because I’m your friend and I don’t lie to my friends.

“Listen to me, Brooke. I need you to closely pay attention to what I’m about to say to you.” Kahit naguguluhan ay tumango na lamang ako.

He gently pulled me outside of the gate and then we ended up hiding under a tree. There’s no one passing by as of the moment but on a regular basis, people seldom use this way to go to the market which is located near the veterinary clinic.

“First things first, how did you know Felix?” There’s no hint of humor when he said those words that made my whole existence slowly crumbled into pieces.

I can’t believe that there’s another person who remembers him. And that’s Police Officer Frederick. Should I be happy?

“I was the first one who asked you that question and you still haven’t replied.”

I watched him bowed his head wearily after he heard my answer which happens to be his question that was meant for me. As much as I want someone to know about Felix’s unsolved death case, I can’t just blurt out the reason why I’m aware of his existence even though he died when I wasn’t even born in this world.

Nag-angat siya ng tingin at bigla akong nakaramdam ng niyerbos nang maaninag ang mga mata niyang makikitaan mo nang naghahalong emosyon na mahirap ipaliwanag. “I need you to cooperate with me, Brooke. I know everything that there is to know. Alam ko rin na kinuha mo sa dating tinitirhan ni Felix ang mga mahahalagang bagay na maaaring makatulong sa paglutas ng kasong sinubukan kong ipaglaban.”