CHAPTER 59

NOCTURNAL - UGLY TRUTH

"HEY! STOP DOING THAT!"

I was furious when I saw a boy stomping his feet to the flowers planted inside the park. The kind lady spent most of her weekends planting those and that kid is not even grateful for her hard work! If he's in Japan, he'll get a spanking from my Grandma for disrespecting one of God's gifts to humanity.

I hurriedly stood up and ran to reach the park, when a loud honking sound of a vehicle appeared out of nowhere. I turned to my right side and couldn't believe what I just saw.

My feet were glued to the ground. I was trembling.

At that very moment, all I could think of was my Mom and my Dad who will be sad if I die here today. I don't want to die! I'm still young and I still want to play with Leigh!

Help me!

I shut my eyes when the truck was about to hit me but then someone pushed me away from it.

The strong impact made my face hit the hot ground. As I was fighting myself to stay awake to see who saved my life, I heard people painfully screaming my Dad's name.

Why are they shouting his name?

When I try to turn my aching head on the opposite side, a pair of cold hands lifted me and I was placed on a stretchy rectangular thing. A woman wearing a mask on her face waved her hand in front of me and asking me questions to keep me awake.

Because of the unbearable pain inflicted on my body, my eyes gave up, and the last thing I heard was my Mom's harsh voice crying out my Dad's name.

I woke up with a cold sweat as I was trying to catch my breath, only to realize that I have a ventilator in my mouth. The white ceiling was the first thing I saw. Am I in the hospital?

"BROOKE!"

Two familiar voices yelled my name alarmingly. I couldn't move my body. My left hand has an IV and the beeping sound of a machine beside me is distorting my hearing. What happened after I lost my consciousness? And what was that dream I just had?

Dad was there and he saved me from being hit by a truck. That did not happen. We were never involved in that accident. My Dad died due to heat stroke. He passed away when I was six years old but not because of the truck that was supposed to hit me. What is that strange dream all about?

"Brooke, mabuti at nagising ka na! Sobrang nag-alala kami sa inyong dalawa ni Ate Xy!" Camille appeared next to me, tears began to fall out of her puffy eyes. She must be crying for a while now.

"Thank goodness you're okay, Brooke! We were worried sick." Alex was crying as well.

I wanted to say something but the ventilator is in the way. The only thing I can do is to reach for their hands to assure them that I'm not going to die yet.

They both looked at me as their precious smiles slowly appearing on their faces. I missed them so much, it hurts. Sabay nilang hinawakan ang kamay ko at pinisil iyon. Camille wiped her own tears using her other hand. Alex was caressing her back as he struggles to keep his composure. I hate to see them cry.

"M-May mga pulis sa labas. Sinabi nila sa amin na nabangga raw nang rumaragasang sasakyan ang sinasakyan ninyo ni Ate Xy." She sniffed.

Alex nodded his head in agreement. I was beyond grateful Police Officer Frederick was there with his colleagues to rescue us. If they weren't tracking one of Benjamin's cars that time, we could've died on the spot.