CHAPTER 60

NOCTURNAL - A SAD GOODBYE

Sometimes, words can't fully describe how grateful I am to be alive. All I wanted was to live my life in peace with no doubt, confusion, conflict, and sadness getting in the way of my ideals. Do good in school, graduate, find a stable job, and all will be well as long as I'm doing what I believe was right. I can say that I've successfully lived my life properly, although there's this one person who says otherwise- my mother.

Carpe diem. Seize the day. I've read those meaningful words in a yearbook under the image of a young man who rattled my normal life. He was no ordinary man as he already is a ghost roaming inside the forest that used to be his home.

At first, I was hesitant, but he pushed me out of my comfort zone. He gave me courage to discover and love my passion for modeling.

"Brooke? Handa ka na ba?" Said the person who took care of me in behalf of my mom.

She's peeking through the door, half-opened for I have been locking myself up for the whole day, thinking and reminiscing about the times I've spent here with the people who earned their place in my heart.

"Yes, Ate Ria. I'll be with you in a minute."

"Sige. Hihintayin kita sa ibaba."

I was lying on my cozy bed, remembering my first day here inside of this room that used to be Mom's. Even now, I still haven't bought some fancy decorations to bring life to the wall and the ceilings of my own space. I must be forgetful.

The sound of the clock ticking brings music to my ears. Silence is deafening, truly. 12 o'clock. I still have time to prepare. Xylem is expecting me to be there so I must pull myself together.

When I hear the birds chirping outside of my window, they reminded me of the backyard we once had in the city. It wasn't big to attract such fine creatures, but it was enough to shelter them in bad weather.

I faced the uncleaned mirror, showing the necklace of my friend. As long as I have this with me, I feel contented. Felix may not be here with me anymore but his works and his affection will remain within me and the people who have memories of him.

"I'll be off now."

Ate Ria was dressed in festivities. Her face lit up when she saw me walking down the stairs. This is her first time to be invited in a formal event. She's one of the few people who I consider honest and brimmed with raw emotions inside of her. In this day and age, it's hard to seek a worthy flesh to be vulnerable with. She already is a family to me.

"Ayos lang ba ang suot ko, Brooke? Hindi naman ba masyadong sosyal 'to? Baka akalain pa nila na mayaman ako." She was tucking her glittering dress down. That made me laugh in silence.

"Don't you want others to think that you're wealthy, Ate Ria? It suits you well. You must carry it with grace. Who knows, the man in your dreams might be there." Tukso ko sa kaniya nang makababa na.

She gets all flustered by my sugar-coated words. Tinakpan niya pa ang pisngi niyang namumula na ngayon. How cute.

"Huwag ka ngang ganiyan, Brooke. Baka maniwala pa ako sa'yo. Uto-uto pa naman ako." She exclaimed.

I walked to her as I was fixing the collar of my top. "I would love to see you happy with somebody who will love unconditionally."

Nauna na akong lumabas ng bahay at naiwan si Ate Ria na kinikilig pa rin sa mga binitawan kong salita.

Surely, she will not be spending the rest of her life staying here with my Mom and I. I'd be the happiest human being alive when I see her carrying an offspring of her own. Every woman dreams of becoming a mother. When I was staying in the hospital for my recovery, I heard her whispering a man's name on her sleep, and she even said I love you to him. That man is very lucky to have her.