CHAPTER 54

NOCTURNAL - REUNION

I never thought I'll experience this kind of euphoric feeling. The slanting ray of the rising sun gave a luminous light to the whole city. I kind of miss how I used to admire this God's gift to humanity. My fondness to this urban place is slowly coming back to me as I remember the remaining times I've had spent with my Dad. It hurts to think that the only thing that keeps me going is my promise to him that I'll take care of my Mom in his behalf.

I was busy admiring the brilliant sun blooming on the horizon when I heard a gentle knock on the door. In all honesty, I woke up early because I couldn't sleep well last night. The unending thoughts about the contest and the possible interactions that might happen today keeps running to my head to the point that my eyes couldn't close on their own. It's infuriating.

"Brooke, breakfast is ready." Xylem said on the other side of the door.

I hurriedly fixed my bedhead as I was checking in the mirror to see if there's still some gound left in my eyes. I don't want her to see me looking like a mess early in the morning and I have no intention of making her wait for a long time so I immediately opened the door the moment I affirmed that my appearance is now somehow presentable.

"Good morning, Xylem." I greeted her.

Tinignan niya ako mula ulo hanggang paa bago imuwestra ang kamay niya sa kitchen na nasa tabi lamang ng kwartong tinutuluyan ko. "Good morning. Let's eat breakfast. Ako ang nagluto."

I was taken aback when suddenly, she pulled me lightly towards the kitchen area. I can already smell the aroma of the food the she made for the both of us. This is too much. She never even bothered to ask for my help. I could've helped her. And I'm clearly willing to offer her my help. Nakikituloy na nga ako ng libre tapos siya pa ang nagluluto para sa amin.

We entered the kitchen and the first thing I saw was the huge double-door fridge. You can definitely tell that this kitchen wasn't use much because of how the kitchen utensils and the appliances shine directly through my eyes.

"Upo ka na, Brooke."

Umupo ako sa upuang nasa harapan ko habang siya naman ay isa-isang nilalapag ang mga pagkaing niluto niya. "I made sunny-side up, hotdog, bacon, corned beef, fried rice, and fresh orange juice. Enjoy!"

I smiled a little to hide my embarrassment for not helping her prepare our breakfast. "Thank you, Xylem. S-Sana tinawag mo ako kanina para natulungan kitang magluto." I can't even look at her in the eyes.

She chuckled in a relaxing way and then I heard the creaking sound of the wooden chair moving backwards. I raised my head to see her took a seat across me. The authentic smile on her face appeared as she held my hands that were resting on top of the table.

"You're my guest, Brooke. You don't need to offer me your help and besides, I don't want to ruin your delicate hands." I gasped lightly when she started caressing both of my hands. Xylem is making me feel secure and warm by her kind gestures.

"I can wash the dishes then?" I suggested. She giggled and casually shrugged her shoulders.

"Hindi ba kita mapipigilan?"

I shook my head and let out a soft chuckle. "Nope. Hindi mo ako mapipigilan."

We talked while eating our mouthwatering breakfast. She was discussing to me about the concern regarding the photography contest. Her sister said that the place where the contest will be held is still in the process of preparing and making adjustments so we can't yet visit there. Nabanggit niya rin ang kompanya ng Dad ni Joaquin. His Dad owns a magazine company and that is the major sponsor of the said contest. The winning photographer will be given a chance to feature his/her model in the sponsor's company and the winner itself will be the one who'll capture the shots that will be included in the annual magazine issue.