CHAPTER 24

NOCTURNAL - FOREST

"Brooke! I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Sobrang nag-alala kami sayo, Brooke! Buti at nagising ka na! Miss ka na namin!"

"Thanks, guys."

Bucket of tears started to flow out of their eyeballs. A stab on the stomach can't kill me but I think if Evangeline hadn't brought me here immediately at the hospital before I lose lots of blood, I'm probably lying on the morgue right now as a cold corpse.

"Brooke..." I turned to see my Mom standing outside of the door. Her makeup's in a mess and it looks like she hasn't been sleeping for days.

"Mom." She quickly ran towards me and gave me a tight hug.

"Thank goodness, you're awake. I was worried sick, anak." She whispered while gently caressing my hair.

I hugged her back. "I'm okay now, Mom. Sorry for worrying you."

She began to sob. "I don't know what I'll do if something bad happens to you again."

This is the first time Mom ever cried for me like this. I don't want it. The mere sight of her crying because of my wrong doing aches my heart. She's still my Mom and I love her. I don't want to be a burden to her. That's the least I can do as her daughter.

"It was an accident. No one wants that to happen. I was just trying to help... a friend." I tightly shut my eyes.

Mom slightly pushed me away from her. She held my cheeks so I have no choice but to open my eyes. I stared at her while trying my best to restrain myself from revealing what happened that night when I got stabbed.

"I heard what happened. It's that girl's fault, wasn't it? Evangeline?" She stated.

I gulped. "Mom, don't be mad at her. She didn't do it on purpose. I was just trying to stop her but I got caught up instead. No one's at fault here." I tried my best to explain everything to her.

It will be bad for Evangeline's well being if Mom would blame her for what happened to me. I just want her to be okay. Ending your life is not a great solution in solving your problems. You need to face and overcome it on you own or with the help of those who are willing to lend you a hand.

Mom let out a sigh. She fixed my hair and pointed the door. "She's outside. Her family's with her. The little kid named Aliah is looking for you." She stood up and exited the room.

My eyes darted to where Alex and Camille are currently sitting.

"Gusto mo ng lugaw, Brooke? Binilhan ka namin ni Alex sa labas. Baka nagugutom ka na. Susubuan kita." Camille suggested. Alex slightly slapped her hands.

He then looked at me and smiled. "Uh, Brooke, okay lang ba itong dala namin sa'yo? O kung gusto mo, bilhan na lang kita ng ibang makakain?" I shook my head when he automatically stood up and was about to exit the room.

"It's okay. I'll have the porridge." I answered. Camille smiled. She took the porridge on top of the coffee table and took a seat beside me.

"Okay ka na ba talaga, Brooke? Hindi na ba masakit iyang tiyan mo na nasaksak ng kutsilyo?" She asked me while putting the porridge inside a small bowl.

I nodded my head. "It doesn't hurt anymore so I think I should be okay now."

Bumuntong hininga siya at hinawakan ang kamay kong nakapatong sa ibabaw ng kumot.

"Diba magkakaroon kayo ng photo shoot ni Ate Xylem this coming weekend? Ipagpapatuloy mo pa ba?" She's worried.

Now that she mentioned it, I'm not sure if I'll look good in the camera anymore. The scar may stay permanent and if I wear that thin dress, the wound might show up.