12 | what was the reason?

"So I didn't tell anyone you were coming." Hazel admitted over the phone.

"Why not?" Amaria asked helping one of her students with their costume.
"I thought it would be a nice surprise. I mean I know you ain't said anything either cause you be like that."

"What's that supposed to mean Haze?" She laughed while adjusting another costume. "It means, I'm sure you haven't  said a word to anyone. It's okay to contact your busy friends and not feel like you're bothering them."

"I didn't say that."
"You've said it before. Like when they lost and you didn't wanna reach out to bother an already pissed off player. But I told you it'll probably help if you did. And then boom it did."

"Hazel, he's just good at bouncing back. I had nothing to do with that."

During the first NBA Finals game, Jordan only scored 9 points. He did have 2 rebounds and 2 assists. But he did feel low. Amaria originally didn't want to reach out to him because she hadn't spoken to him since she left golden state. She had worked through the whole weekend and wasn't able to make the game on that Friday night. It clearly upset him but she didn't think it was that bad until he left her on read.

When she called to check in, he answered but he didn't say much. He thanked her for the pep talk and the prayer and that was it.

"I'm not about to play with you. Also don't snitch on yourself by posting you're in the area. I didn't tell anyone, not even Esh." Amaria understood how to keep a low profile, she just didn't understand why Hazel made a big deal out of it being a surprise.

"Break a leg babes! I'll be watching the live stream with the kids."

Amaria had set up a live stream for her job's showcase. The first time It would be done. She wanted to help the program gain more traction and thought this would be a great way how.

It must've been luck because the show went perfectly. No technical issues and everyone had been prepared to perform. A few nervous kiddos but in the end, it was a great show.

"I've gotta run to the airport YALL. I love you my babies and I'll see some of you over the summer."

Amaria planned to spend her summer teaching as usual and she was excited to be leading her division this year. The airport was crowded as hell and there seemed to be some delays in flights.

I swear I cannot miss this flight.

She didn't miss the flight but it was definitely cancelled all together.

"Haze, I'm really stuck at the airport." She sighed. This wasn't in the plan at all.

"Girl lemme think. If I really request a jet charter, I have to tell Dray and I really didn't wanna ruin the surprise. But if you don't make this game, I feel like we gonna lose and we cannot handle that right now."  Hazel sighed. "Alright, I might have to slightly ruin the surprise but I know who ima call."

Amaria waited patiently as Hazel did her thing. When she called back there was a huge smile on her face.

"What did you do?"
"I called Thompson. He said he will charter a plane for you in Philly and that it will arrive here a little after the game starts."

"He would do that?"
"It's already done. Now he's sending you an email with the details of where to go. I told him this was important and he understands that so there you go."

Amaria was overwhelmed with gratefulness. She felt like she owed them so much after this.

"Good evening Ms. Banks." Harold, the pilot greeted.