85 | golden circle

JP3, JP3, JP3!

The Chase Center was lit as they welcomed Jordan to his 8th season at Golden State. He was happy to be back and even happier that Karena was awake. He could be happy without feeling guilty. That was the best feeling.

He smiled and waved at everyone before blowing a kiss in the direction of where Amaria stood. She blew him a kiss back before whispering something to Mychal. They had been spending more time together and now had a bond outside of the rest of the ladies.

"Look at them, acting like kids." She pointed as Jordan and Andrew were laughing at nothingness. "They're excited about another ring."

It was also Ring Night and that meant anyone who was anyone was in attendance. The Grizzlies were there for the season opener and it felt good to have friends in the area who would go out with them later.

Jaren snuck over first to give Amaria a hug. "Man we ain't seen you all summer."

"I know, I been hella busy. How you been?"

"Tuh, good. Been to Paris fashion week. Did some campaigns that's coming out soon. How you holding up?" By now news about her mother circulated and slowly people were starting to ask about it.

"Because she's doing good, I am."

Jaren understood it perfectly. Ja moseyed his way over to say hi. "What's good Mar?"

"Hey Ja, how you been?"

He rolled his eyes before shaking his head, "Your friend getting on my fucking nerves bruh."

"What she do?" Amaria laughed knowing Brittney pulled something. "She just keep picking arguments and I'm not even tryna do allat. She make a nigga head spin for no good reason."

"But you like her?"

"Unfortunately." He smirked. "Well, I would say fly her in this weekend, to wherever y'all gonna be. Find the time to sit down and chat. If y'all can't get on the same page, leave her be."

"I'll do that, thank you." Ja headed back to his side of the court first. Jaren still lingered as if he had a something on his mind.

"What's up you look like you got something to say."

"I ain't wanna say it in front of him but, I definitely don't think him and her are a good idea." Jaren admitted.

"That's his life choice to make, you can give your two cents only once, then hope somebody will listen. I ain't getting into that."

"You right bro." Jaren quickly dapped Amaria before walking off. "You really have a friendship with everyone." Mychal was pretty observant and generally quiet unless drunk.

"I mean I try to build genuine relationships. Helps me sleep at night." She joked but it was true and that's why the mentioning of Brittney annoyed her because she wasn't trying to think about it.

Sonya came over to speak to them.

"Hi my girls." She hugged Amaria and then Mychal. "How are you doing?"

"Good! I don't have the girls tonight so it's celebration after celebration."

"And I will not complain. I'm just happy I was able to make it."

For the season opener, the boys showed up and showed off! Jordan racked in 37 points, 10 assists and 6 rebounds. They were back on the championship high and would be eating together to celebrate all the good things coming.

"I'm happy we got another ring, adding to the collection." Steph started. "I'm happy I've been doing this with y'all for so long, it doesn't even seem real. We've accomplished so much and I'm proud of each and every one of you. I think the amount of growth I've seen in this team comes from everyone taking a chance on themselves as well as doing what's needed to pull through and get the wins."

"We love you 30!" Gary yelled from his seat.

"Love you too GPII! But I'm glad that I can finally get to this point and not feel sad about it."

No one knew exactly where this was going but they listened. They always listened to Steph. The wise one.

"Klay, Dray, stand with me." His friends, teammates, brothers took a stand with him holding their own glasses.

"I think it's important to start here with you guys. We built this dynasty and we're always going to be family. I love you guys and I'll always go to bat for you."

Klay wasn't an expressive person but he did start to feel glassy in the eyes. He looked down at Alyssa who was seated next to him before looking back at the core. "I love you too man."

"You know it's always green with me. Y'all my brothers!" Draymond toasted.

"This next group came at the right time. I'm happy that we have our trusted unit of guys who have no issue doing anything asked. Jordan, Loon, Wiggs, GPII, JTA, y'all were the future but now you are the present."

"Cheers to that, they're some great guys." Klay added.

"With that being said. The core trusts you with continuing the great things we built here. At the end of this season, we're officially retiring."

Jordan's fork hit the plate. For some reason he was shocked. For years people compared him to Steph and through his struggles they did everything they could to tear him down. So he worked, he worked hard to gain the respect of the spectators. Not only modeling his ethic after his mentor but adopting his own style, notoriety and being Jordan Poole, not Steph Jr.

There were claps and speeches going around but Jordan still didn't have words. His brain was all over the place as the news sank in. He had been starting a lot over the last year and not because Steph was injured, but because it organically started to work that way. Steph didn't need to start or close the game for them to win and that's what was important.

Amaria noticed the stillness from her partner. She placed her hand atop of his and gave him a concerned squeeze. Daring to meet her eyes, he looked into them showcasing his true emotion.

"Walk with me."

He doesn't oblige, following closely behind her to reach a private area, away from onlookers. Jordan unbuttons the top of his shirt more to let off some of the steam. He was burning up.

"Puds, what's wrong?" She asks as delicately as possible. She had a feeling she knew but didn't want to assume how he was feeling. "How the fuck am I supposed to lead a team?"

The devil on her shoulder wanted her to laugh because he has done it a million times over at this point. It should be second nature. The Angel on the other side of her had the compassion and empathy to walk him through this and reassure him.

"Jordan Anthony, you already lead this team." He stopped looking over at her. "You have been leading this team. Whether you start or you're on the bench. You lead the team when you're at home. How often do the rookies call you for advice? Or look to you for motivation? Steph took a step back awhile ago and you haven't noticed because the natural leader in you was always right there. You took the notes and now you're applying it."

"You really believe that?"

"Jordan, yes. I do." She steps closer to him to hold his shaking hands. "You're not a boy anymore with a blond patch or locs. You're not proving yourself in g-league games. You're finals MVP. You are now the Starting Point Guard for the Golden State Warriors. You earned this."

Jordan nodded, taking in the words that he desperately needed to hear. He had no choice but to accept it as this was his reality now.

"Thank you." Jordan gives her a quick peck on the lips. "You're welcome. Now let's go inside and celebrate champ."

Taking his hand she pulls him back into the building to celebrate with their friends. His spirit was lifted and he enjoyed his night. The new golden circle on his finger gleamed under the par lights, chandeliers, moonlight and bedroom led's.