。four 。

☆

too long is how long astra had been waiting in the library for james to turn up for his potions tutoring. far too long, in her opinion. it was saturday and there were many things she'd rather be doing than finishing homework which wasn't due for months while she waited for him to show up. the walkman harley bought (stole) her sat on the table beside her, five years by david bowie blasting into her eardrums to pass time.

astra's eyes widened slightly as her shoulder was shoved and her quill stabbed through her piece of parchment, drawing on the one underneath. lifting one small headphone off her ear, she looked back at james who was slightly red in the face, his hair a little more messed up than usual, which was saying something. he grinned at her, probably trying to wiggle his way onto her good side as if she'd ever give him information on the slytherin quidditch team, and sat down beside her.

"sorry, bit late." james apologised and astra doubted it was a real sorry.

"no, it's fine. only my saturday, ink and parchment you're wasting." astra bit back, crumpling up her parchment and moving it out of the way.

"wasn't that long." james frowned. "it's also my saturday, ink and parchment, black."

"maybe it wouldn't be if you focused in potions." astra muttered. "anyway-"

"shit, maybe it's just my saturday and ink..." james trailed off and looked at astra who sighed and pushed some parchment towards him.

"what's the most advanced potion you've made?" astra questioned, also shoving a quill to james when she saw him searching for one. he looked hesitant before he mumbled something she couldn't understand. "what?" he did the same thing again. "what potion, potter?"

"an animagus one." james mumbled and she was finally able to hear him.

astra laughed, "no wonder you weren't put in ravenclaw."

"what d'you mean?" james demanded, looking concerned.

"you just told someone who isn't in your little 'inner circle' that you created a potion to turn someone into an illegal animagus. and," astra gasped in a mockingly dramatic way, "a snake, too!"

"don't tell anyone." james ordered, his eyes hardened into a glare, his grin gone. his glare got worse when she smirked at him. "i'm serious!" he got shushed by madam pince for raising his voice slightly.

"no, that's my brother." astra muttered before writing something down.

"what're you writing?" james asked urgently.

"oh, just a little note to the minister of magic..." astra trailed off teasingly. "'dear fudge, i know of someone in hogwarts who brewed a potion for illegal purposes. he goes by the name of james'- sorry, what's your middle name, love?"

"give me that." james hissed and snatched the parchment from her which turned out to just be the word 'gullible'. "very funny."

"i thought you liked jokes." astra smiled lightly to herself as she took the parchment back. "or just when you make them?"