。forty-three 。

☆

it was the last day of astra's sixth year and she didn't know whether to be nervous or excited for the summer. james had sent a letter to his parents asking if astra could stay with them because she would not be going back to her parents. james had said that they'd be completely fine with her just showing up, but astra begged to differ and wanted confirmation to soothe her worries. of course, euphemia and fleamont were more than happy to have her stay at their home. sirius was buzzing, glad she wasn't going back and glad to have her with him in the summer again.

hagrid had been in and out of hogwarts consistently for a few weeks so astra was spending some time in the forbidden forest, feeding witherwings and seeing buckbeak, who was still being fed by his mother. lessons had been gradually getting easier and easier as the school year came to a close, minus professor grimm's teaching which seemed to have increased in it's usual grotesque fashion.

now, harley, phoenix and astra were dragging their full trunks towards the great hall for breakfast, splotch sat comfortably on astra's shoulders, before they left on the long train journey back to london. they were trying to comfort a very unsure astra.

"you'll be fine, they'll love you." phoenix assured. "i mean, they live sirius, you should have no problem living with them."

"but it's different, though, isn't it? sirius is his best mate and i'm his girlfriend, they're supposed to hate me before they know me." astra mused.

harley scoffed, "only if they're complete cunts, and we know the potters aren't. i've met them loads of times, they're incredible."

"she's right, they're great." phoenix agreed.

"what do you talk about with them?" astra inquired.

"the state of the economy." harley retorted sarcastically and phoenix laughed while astra shoved her with her elbow. "whatever. books, i dunno."

"they'll spend their time asking about you, i doubt you'll have to think of a topic." phoenix shrugged.

"that's worse." astra grumbled as they sat down at the gryffindor table, lily already waiting for them with sophia. "salazar, i hate this."

james sat down beside her, arm wrapping around her waist as he pressed a kiss to her cheek, and then to splotch's head; the cat had quickly started to enjoy his attention, "what d'you hate?"

"having a boyfriend." harley answered with a smirk and astra rolled her eyes as sirius, remus and peter joined the table, alex plopping down beside phoenix, kissing him quickly.

"w-what?"

"you've gone and broke him." remus mumbled, watching as james frowned, eyes wide.

"she's fucking with you, darling." astra assured, squeezing his thigh under the table.

james' mood switched easily and he grinned, "oh, good. what d'you hate?"

"she's worried your parents will despise her existence." phoenix mused, spooning chocolate spread onto his waffles.

"dick." astra scowled, throwing some toast crust at him.

"you got lemon curd on my best jumper!"

"they'll like you." james smiled, filling a glass full of juice. "i mean, they like sirius."

"oi!"

"they can't not like you." sophia assured. "you're funny, top of your classes, nice when you want to be, smart. i mean, you speak french, that's sexy."

astra rolled her eyes, "i'm not trying to flirt with them."

"you speak french?" peter asked, eyes wide.

"yeah. you didn't know? all three of us got taught." astra hummed.

peter turned to sirius, absolutely baffled, "you speak french?"

"why is that so surprising?" sirius scoffed.

"i didn't think you had the brain capacity." peter mumbled, quickly shoving toast into his mouth as if to cut himself off. despite his efforts, sirius heard him and, deeply offended, slapped some jam onto his face, completing peter's face-breakfast.

"i don't think i've heard you speak french." phoenix spoke up.

"i'm sure i have." astra shrugged. "but i don't need to, only person i speak to that can also speak french is sirius. and i don't like to speak to him, i lose essential brain cells doing so."

"i'd pull your hair if a cat wasn't protecting you." sirius snarled, turning his nose up at the unbothered cat who'd done no wrong in his life.

"just because you can turn into one, doesn't mean you need to act like a dog 24/7." astra reminded him as he snarled at her cat.

peter gasped loudly, a smudge of jam still on his cheek, "she knows?"

"she's known since second year." remus spoke up, the conversation hushed so phoenix, alex and sophia didn't really know what was being said.

if they knew, they wouldn't care, but remus didn't know that. he still thought everyone would hate him if they found out. he still wondered if his friends secretly hated him for it a lot of the time.

"you know she knows?" sirius looked at remus in shock.

he shrugged, "we were in the hospital wing at the same time. it really isn't that hard to guess."

"i'm surprised it took you lot so long, you live with remus." astra remarked.

"i'm not." harley smirked before looking at astra. "go on, speak some french."

"why? so we can have a really interesting, one-sided conversation?" astra scoffed.

"exactly, you get it." harley hummed. "go on, french is hot."

"lily, tell your girlfriend off." astra muttered.

"i would, but i think that counts as being a hypocrite, i've said the same thing before." lily smiled.

"i'm not speaking french, you whores." astra chuckled.

suddenly the attention was gathered towards dumbledore and the great hall grew quiet. he didn't have the twinkle in his eye as he prepared for his announcement and the air felt colder. everyone knew what this speech would be about, it was expected. everyone knew it was coming, but now it was, they didn't want to hear it.

"the end of another year is upon us. but i'm afraid this goodbye speech will be somewhat unhappy. as you all know, a dark wizard going by the name of voldemort is growing more powerful." gasps filled the hall at the use of his chosen name, and some students grinned maliciously at one another, loving to hear the name of their leader spoken with warning. "unfortunately his following continues to grow, and it hurts to know some students in this room agree with his actions and opinions. i advise that muggleborns, half-bloods and pure-bloods that disagree with his views be extremely careful. never travel alone, always carry your wand. do not be persuaded by them. the light can win if it doesn't give in to the dark. now, please get ready to leave and enjoy your summer holidays."

"'cause that speech set us up for a happy few weeks." harley remarked as they all stood up.

{1137}

hello, when i last updated this, i'm not sure it completely worked. everything seemed to go very slow with it and i was wondering if people got the notification. if so, fabulous, i was just wondering :)