。thirty-four 。

(⚠️warnings⚠️, this chapter includes physical and mental child abuse, sexual assault/rape that i DO NOT write explicitly, it's just spoke about before and afterwards

(⚠️warnings⚠️, this chapter includes physical and mental child abuse, sexual assault/rape that i DO NOT write explicitly, it's just spoke about before and afterwards. much like a previous chapter, this one is going to have a very uncomfortable feel. so if any of these things make you uncomfortable or trigger you in anyway, please do not read and that was not my intention.)

the silence in the kitchen was excruciating. kreacher had served them dinner and waited in the corner if anyone needed anything, without receiving any meal of his own. astra planned to take some leftovers to his poor excuse of a bed later. since dinner was served, no one had said a thing, only exchanging glances above glasses of wine and forkfuls of potato. astra hadn't looked towards any of them once.

salem wasn't making this easy. oh, why would he? it seemed as though his only reason for living was to taunt astra. his eyes barely left her and he knew she felt his gaze because her blank face would contort into one of disgust and discomfort. he enjoyed that. he bathed in how horrible he could make her feel. it was one of his favourite things to do.

astra's skin crawled as she poked her food around her plate, her appetite gone completely. every once in a while, salem's boot would come in contact with her own and she'd tense, the fact he was so close to her making her want to shrink into a hole in the centre of the earth and burn like the core. salem knew it, so he continued to jab her with his boot.

astra wanted to slap the smug smirk off his arrogant face.

"so," mr. malfoy spoke up, clearing his throat after sipping his wine, "are we going to discuss the engagement?"

"yes, that would be wise." orion agreed.

astra's heart dropped to her stomach and her knife scraped on her plate as it sliced through a softcarrot with much more force than needed. the entire table looked towards her at the disruptive sound and she looked back at them for the first time, muttering a reluctant apology.

"anyway," mrs. malfoy said, eyeing astra with repulsion, "we think it would be a good plan to have the wedding in december. they'll both be eighteen-years-old, although i'm sure it wouldn't be a bother to do it sooner. in the summer, even."

"i think december sounds the best." walburga spoke up.

"yes, but if we make it happen in august, astra can move into the house and drop out of school. the quicker that happens, the sooner the bloodline will be continued." mrs. malfoy smiled.

walburga and orion shared a look. it wasn't one of horror or disgust, as it should have been when a woman who was pretty much a stranger suggested that astra leave her wishes to have a career behind to be forced to birth children she may not even want, hidden away in a random mansion with no freedom. no, this look was one of agreement. and astra had never been so revolted.