。forty-four 。

☆

the train ride to platform 9 3/4 was fairly uneventful. at the beginning, everyone was bustling with excitement but it gradually quietened down. peter fell asleep, as did sophia and sirius. remus and harley started to read while lily leaned her head on harley's shoulder, once in a while asking her not to turn the page so fast, poorly hiding her sudden interest in her girlfriends book. phoenix, alex, james and astra just chatted between themselves, partly about newts next year and the rest about the summer holidays.

everyone avoided the topic of voldemort.

the train pulled into the station and they all grabbed their things that hadn't been put in its own compartment specially for storage. splotch lay curled in his basket, fast asleep, tail curled around his body. james waved at his parents on the platform, euphemia and fleamont wearing smiles so large astra wondered if their cheeks would suddenly split.

astra caught sight of them and huffed a short breath. living in someone else's house was odd. being around nice adults would be even odder.

james gripped her hand gently causing her to look at him, "you'll be fine."

"i'll run if i panic." astra smiled hesitantly and james chuckled, pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

"i'll get our trunks." james whispered, kissing her again before striding off, astra leaving a minute after, taking a moment to prepare herself.

"i look forward to our summer this year." a sinister, smug voice said behind her. "how joyous august will be."

"oh, i'm positive i won't have a better one. i don't have to look at your ugly mug." astra shot back.

salem's eyebrows twitched but he recovered it quickly with a smirk and gripped her wrist, "you think your parents will let you go off?"

"i do what i like." astra snapped back firmly, tugging her arm from his grip.

he scoffed, "you didn't think i wouldn't tell them about your plans to stay with blood traitors, did you? they're waiting to apparate away. first chance they touch you, you're back there. who gives a fuck if you get splinched? and then you'll have no choice. our parents have already planned the wedding. i know you enjoyed my company, think of having it all the time."

"are you not bored of this? this repetitive nonsense is really starting to get boring." astra snarled. "have you no imagination in that thick skull of yours?"

"astra?" she heard james call down the hallway curiously.

"coming!" astra called back, glaring into salem's cold eyes. "i pity you, i really do. you are extremely weak, so weak you do everything a man who is trying to destroy his own blood type tells you to. your parents do not love you, and yes, you could twist that on me, but unlike me, you have no one that cares about you. you have nobody. you are a pawn in a game of chess, and you will continue to be one until the day you die. which is hopefully soon, the thought of people having to share your air truly saddens me. you do not have the control you think you do over me, you are completely delusional. you have money, you have status, you have freedom, but one day, you will have nothing. it may take a good long while, but you and the people that share your mind will become nothing but dirt under my boot."