。thirty-seven 。

(warnings: discussion of sexual assault, self-hatred, astra breaks down, she also blames herself)

coming back from quidditch training, james headed down the corridor, broom tucked under his arm as he passed a group of ravenclaw girls. they were all giggling together in a small, tight circle, like they wanted their words to be secretive. however, the loudness of their voices contradicted the tightness of their little circle.

"i can't believe it! i thought black hated him!" one of the girls, with black hair, gasped.

"i did too! i guess black and malfoy aren't all that full of hatred as she acts." a blonde girl laughed and the others 'oo'd. "i mean, it was obvious he fancied her! he's always staring at her!"

"she probably realised what a good opportunity it was!" another exclaimed. "he's so handsome!"

"if the look of the kiss they shared was anything to go by, it certainly is a good opportunity." the blonde smirked and they erupted into giggles again.

james' steps stuttered and he nearly tripped over the stony floor. salem had kissed astra? and she'd kissed him back? salem was a cunt, most people knew that. some ignored it because of his wealth and his looks, but the inevitable fact that he was a sick, twisted individual was like a blaring alarm to anyone that went within 20 feet of him. why would she kiss him?

astra spoke openly of her strong hatred for him. she glared at him, punched him and broke his nose, fuck knows how many times. every time he got close to her, she'd immediately walk away from him and shuffle closer to someone she cared about and knew cared for her. she was so clearly uncomfortable around him even if he was all the way across the hall.

was all that hatred just a put on to hide her attraction? no! merlin, no. he was prejudiced to everyone, including astra and who she was. he was disgusting towards her and her friends so the idea that they'd kissed suddenly seemed unbelievable, because it was unbelievable. astra would rather jump from the astronomy tower.

later that night, james found it hard to slip into a good sleep and he opened the maruaders map. he saw astra's name stride across the paper, maroon footsteps following her name until she oddly disappeared. then, he remembered how she'd mentioned the fact names didn't pop up when you entered the room of requirement. smiling, james shuffled out of bed and pulled some shoes and a jumper on, grabbing his invisibility cloak swiftly.

after leaving the gryffindor common room, able to not wake up the fat lady portrait as he did so, james snuck off down the corridors towards where astra's name had disappeared. a short while later, he stood in front of the spot and waited for the door to appear. slowly, it emerged and he gripped the handle, shoving it open.

inside, the room had changed from the one they'd previously been in. it was a cosy space and a record was playing quietly in the corner. the fire was burning and crackling across the room. it was dimly lit by floating candles, close to the high ceiling. smoke was coming from behind a sofa and james walked over to it, peeking over.