。twenty-three 。

☆

"hey, astra!" james called, running up to the slytherin in the hallway as she stood with sophia. "the hogsmeade trip's this weekend, you wanna come in a carriage with us? and your mates, of course."

"yeah, okay." astra shrugged.

"don't you have detention?" sophia inquired.

"yeah, but i'll just leave that and go another time. i'm not spending half my saturday with filch and his fucking cat." astra hummed and sophia nodded as if to say 'fair enough'.

"you got detention? what for?" james chuckled.

"i punched salem." astra answered.

"what for?" james grinned.

"do i need an excuse?" astra joked.

james gave a small laugh, "definitely not. i have to go. i'm, uh—"

"trying to prank snape?" astra smirked and he nodded. "get him good this time. the water bucket on the top of the classroom door was really bad."

"whatever, still got him." james grumbled in mock annoyance, waving happily as he walked away from her to find sirius, remus and peter.

"i don't know how you don't see it." sophia mused. "you both clearly like one another romantically."

"he doesn't like me romantic, soph." astra scoffed. "and i don't either."

"keep telling yourself that." sophia giggled.

an arm suddenly came around astra's shoulders and lips touched her cheek causing her eyes to widen. sophia hadn't seen fear flash in astra's expression until just then, confusing and worrying her. the pair looked to see aurora standing beside astra with a beaming smile, "hello."

"hi." sophia replied, haven't having really spoken to her even though they were in the same house.

"aurora." astra greeted, her voice a little tight. "soph, could i meet you outside after class?"

"sure, i'll bring some food." sophia agreed, sending aurora a small, slightly warning, glance as she walked away from them.

"astra black, getting me all alone?" aurora flirted, trailing her fingers across astra's robes.

astra caught her hand, gently pushing her off of her, "i said i didn't like being touched. especially when i have no idea you're there and about to touch me."

"i know, but i thought—"

"you shouldn't have. i said i didn't like it, you should have left it at that." astra stated firmly. aurora seemed shocked. "look, you're very sweet, and i like you—"

"exactly, i like you, too!" aurora grinned.

"no, you like me in a romantic and sexual way. i like you in a strictly platonic way, and i'm sorry i don't feel the same, but i can't force myself to." astra apologised. "i really thought i did when we went out to the parties, but i think it's partly because i'm not ready for anything like this just yet. especially with next year being our N.E.W.T.s."