。twenty-five 。

☆

2am came around quicker than astra realised as she sat in the slytherin common room, reading a book she had borrowed from harley. she placed it down, wondering whether to go to bed or not. after realising she wasn't tired at all, astra took the book to her dorm, placing it on her beside table before preparing to sneak out to go to the black lake.

the slytherin managed to avoid filch and his annoying little cat, exiting the castle and strolling down to the lake in the cool breeze. she had brought a blanket with her, draping it over her shoulders as she usually did when she snook out in the middle of the night. finding the tree most hidden from the view inside the castle, she sat underneath it, looking at the stars which reflected onto the water of the black lake.

leaves crackled, frosted with the cold, and astra turned, thinking she'd been caught or maybe that it was hagrid. however, james was standing there grinning broadly at her, a blanket around his own shoulders. he sat down beside her.

"i'm beginning to think you're a stalker." astra joked, nudging their shoulders gently.

"couldn't sleep and i saw you come over here. thought you might want some company." james smiled.

astra hummed, "it's unusual. i'm beginning to like your company, james."

"good, because i've always enjoyed yours." james said, pushing his glasses up on his nose.

"except when you spent the first couple of weeks this year bitching about me." astra chuckled.

james grimaced, "yeah, i'm not proud of that. i thought you'd be a problem for the gryffindor quidditch team."

"i am a problem for your team. we're beating you. in fact, we're slaughtering you." astra taunted.

he groaned dramatically, "don't rub it in!" she laughed under her breath and silence took over the pair. "i think it's even more beautiful out here in the night. it's shocking this place can get any better, if i'm honest."

"i prefer the nighttime." astra mused. "i like the reflection on the water."

"yeah, that adds to it all." james nodded.

"do you think i'd be any good at being an astronomy professor?" astra questioned, staring at the water as she shifted to bring her legs to her chest.

"with a name like astra? definitely." james replied. "why? is that what you wanna be?"

"astra's not a star, by the way. possibly. that or care of magical creatures. they're fascinating. both astronomy and magical creatures." astra mumbled. "did you know something pulls the carriages we go on to and from hogsmeade?"

"there's not, is there? it's just magic." james denied.

astra shook her head, "no, they're pulled by thestrals."