。twenty-six 。

☆

a few weeks had passed since james and astra had started to make the amortentia and it was time to add the final ingredient. it would be finished then and, before their potions class after lunch, they'd be able to get it done for slughorn.

however, only two days had passed since they'd kissed in the black lake. astra had tried desperately to avoid him, as she had done the first time she opened up to him, while james seemed stunned. however, luckily for her, he didn't try and pressure her to talk about it, no matter how much he wanted to discuss what had happened.

"sorry i'm late. i left my bag in my dorm." astra muttered, walking past james to grab their cauldron from the corner of the darkest spot in the library. "d'you wanna add it and i'll mix it?"

"yeah." james nodded and she handed him the final ingredient, pearl dust, sharing little to no eye contact with him.

he weighed out the needed amount and sprinkled it in as their book told them to. astra then began to stir it one time anti-clockwise, three times clockewise and then five more times anti-clockwise. the potion turned from a chocolate colour into the correct colour. it was known for having a mother-of-pearl sheen and spiralling steam, and their potion had both characteristics.

"i think we did it correctly." astra hummed, leaning over the cauldron to smell it.

fireworks, dewy grass, butterbeer and treacle tarts.

"maybe not." astra scowled. "could you step back a little, i think i can just smell you?" james obliged, pushing his glasses up his nose as he watched her.

fireworks, dewy grass, butterbeer and treacle tarts.

"uh, you try it." astra muttered, trying to deny the inevitable fact that what she could smell was james in the potion.

james stepped forwards, smelling the steam coming from the cauldron.

old books, mint, the sea and citrus.

the gryffindor's eyes widened but he seemed to realise much faster than astra what this meant. or maybe he was just more accepting of the fact he liked astra while she was trying to force herself to think she didn't reciprocate those feelings. it was getting harder to deny now, though, especially after the black lake.

"i-i think that's right." james admitted. "should i pour it into a bottle?"

"yeah." astra answered shortly, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth in thought.

the rest of their time in the library was filled with silence, small glances took at one another when the other wasn't going to be looking back at them. they poured it into a potion bottle, stuffing a cork in the neck, and astra pocketed it for their potions lesson, saying a hurried goodbye to james before striding out of the library.