。thirty-eight 。

☆

astra walked to the back of the entrance to the quidditch pitch, carrying her broom at her side. she huffed out a breath, rolling her shoulders. her team was still in the changing room and she needed a moment. quidditch was one of the places she could prove people like her parents wrong, by doing something they hated and doing it well to shove it in their faces.

brushing a hand over her plait, astra traced the pattern of it going down the back of her head, a random nervous habit she'd gained whenever she wore them. her nails dug into the wood of her broom as the wind batted at her quidditch uniform. they were playing hufflepuff, and for such nice people, they were incredibly competitive. and a lot of astra's team didn't want to work together. she was sure she'd end up with a scratchy voice from screaming at them to do as she asks on the pitch.

"how you feeling?" a comforting voice asked behind her.

astra turned to face james and gave him a small smile, "i'm okay. shouldn't you be in the stands?"

"sirius is saving me a seat, i said i needed to get something." james shrugged and walked closer to her, reaching between them to hold her hand. "nervous?"

"a little. the wind's picking up." astra said honestly. "and i'm about to kick salem off the team."

"you found a replacement?" he asked.

astra nodded, smiling slightly, "yeah, a really fucking good one. and he's not a dick, which is surprising 'cause he kinda looks like one."

"that's great! for you, not for the rest of us." james hummed and she chuckled.

"i need to go, i'll see you later?" she asked and james nodded happily, leaning to press a quick kiss to her lips before he ran off to find his seat.

astra sighed and headed for the changing rooms. harley turned to her and gave her a smile of encouragement, the pair having spoke about what she was about to do the night before.

"astra?" a voice called from the entrance behind her and she faced the boy.

he was a fifth year named leo smith. leo had wanted to try out for beater at the start of the year after some encouragement from his friends, who thought he was amazing. however, as soon as salem caught wind of his position being given to someone else, he threatened him not to do it. leo had complied until one of his friends had spoken to astra about his skill and she was more than willing to see if he was suitable.

he was brilliant.

"hello." pandora smiled at leo and he gave her one back, lifting his broom-free hand in a wave.

"who's this?" salem asked, storming up beside astra angrily.

astra looked over at him, "leo smith, our new beater."

"you're injured?" bole asked.

"oh, i'm perfectly fine, never felt better." astra stated, eyes unwavering from salem's.