。twelve 。

☆

christmas half-term had come quicker than astra had anticipated. the holidays would last for two weeks, the students of hogwarts returning for new years. astra, lily, harley and regulus had received invitations from slughorn just before the break to go to his new year's party when they returned. none of them felt much joy in the thought of going, but they would none the less.

harley, sophia, phoenix and astra all sat in their usual compartment, phoenix and harley laughing loudly between themselves while sophia read silently, grinning to herself every so often. astra was watching the trees and lakes pass by her vision from the windows, dreading the return to her 'home'. her nails picked at the windowsill of the compartment, her mind drowning in the dark thoughts that swirled around continuously.

a knock was heard at the door and astra snapped from her thoughts, looking up at the door which her three friends were also doing. the marauders stood there with big grins on their faces. smiling back, sophia tugged open the door and the four tumbled inside, peter basically falling over air as he landed beside sophia who laughed softly as his cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

sirius plopped himself lazily down opposite astra, remus sitting by his side almost immediately. james moved and sat beside astra who looked at him for a second, seeing his grin and trying to force a small smile back. splotch stretched on astra's thighs before crawling onto james' lap and curling up, deciding to use him as a bed for the train journey.

"i didn't think you were going home." remus said to phoenix in confusion.

"i wasn't but then i realised all of my friends were cruley abandoning me for christmas." phoenix scoffed dramatically and astra snorted.

"figured out our plan, did you?" she joked and the boy gaped at her before tutting under his breath.

"bitch." phoenix mumbled and astra smiled at him which was returned gladly. "where're you lot staying this year, then?"

"james'." sirius answered, leaning his head on remus' shoulder with a tired yawn. "mia makes the best brownies."

"but by the time she's plated them up, you've ate them." remus muttered.

sirius scoffed, "i don't. she just needs to make bigger portions."

"mia makes enough to feed a village, you're just a human hoover." remus remarked.

"what's a hoover?" sirius asked curiously, his twin and james also interested.

"it cleans the floor. sucks up the dirt and shit." remus replied with a shrug that made sirius' head bounce on his shoulder.

"muggles are clever." astra hummed.

"i wouldn't go that far." remus muttered.

the compartment slowly filled with more chatter between different pair and trios of people. remus and sirius spent a lot of time only conversing with one another but no one dared to interrupt them, seeing how much they liked each other even if they hadn't realised yet. sophia had swapped seats with harley and was chatting away with phoenix excitedly over her christmas plans. harley was speaking with peter, helping him with some questions he had on different subjects.