。thirty-two 。

☆

astra snuck through the castle as she usually did at night, but for once in the past month, she hadn't mentioned to james to meet anywhere. she was busy wondering what her parents could possibly need from her in the middle of the year. a ball wasn't that important, and they were more common in the winter and sometimes the end of the summer.

she started walking towards the familiar tree she seemed to love sitting under. pulling a packet of cigarettes from her hoodie pocket, she lit it with a match from a tiny box of matches. she sighed the smoke from her lips, a uncomfortable irritation crawling under her skin. as she got to the tree, she noticed a shadow there.

"you're usually the one finding me here." astra hummed as she sat down beside james.

james smiled at her, the half crescent moon reflecting in his glasses, "you were quiet today, i thought you'd come out here tonight."

"i hardly speak to you in the day. i was busy in the library, anyway." astra muttered, placing her cigarette back between her plump lips, inhaling.

"i've said this before, but i'm not as stupid as i look." james joked. "i know that's a lie."

"how? unlike you, mr. i-sniff-when-i-lie, i don't have a tell." astra mused.

"i just know." james shrugged.

astra gave a scoff, "that answers all my questions."

"so," james started, nudging their knees, "sickle for your thoughts?"

"i'm going back to mother and father's tomorrow." astra mumbled, turning away from him. she felt james sit up straighter.

"why didn't you say?" james asked.

"i was trying not to think about it, if i'm honest." astra chuckled. "but when you try not to think of something, you only think of it more. so my tactic didn't exactly work out."

"does sirius know?" james inquired.

astra shook her head, "i'm gonna have breakfast tomorrow and go, i'll tell him then. harley's the only one that knew until i just told you. she was there when i was done reading the letter."

"can't you just not go?" james questioned.

"no, they'll find a way to make me go back. and anyway, dumbledore won't try and stop them." astra hummed.

"why wouldn't he?" james asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"because he doesn't care for any student that isn't a gryffindor. but he hates slytherin's the most." astra chuckled. "you won't have noticed because he's the ideal headmaster for your house."

"oh." james muttered. "there's absolutely no way to avoid it?"

"no. i'll just suck it up and go." astra shrugged. "i'll be back in a week, so that's fine. i just don't know why i'm needed back. they don't have balls and shit in the easter holidays, it's always the winter and summer."