。thirty-nine 。

☆

astra felt like shit. her eyes cracked open slowly, light bleeding into her vision making her flinch. a sigh passed through her throat and she tried to roll onto her side but immensely groaned quietly at the pain in her hip. she blinked away sleep a few times, turning her head to look at her surroundings. she was still in the hospital wing. when she fell asleep, sirius was sat beside her, talking lowly in a one-sided conversation, glad to see she was healing.

this time when she looked to the chair beside her bed, she saw a slumped james potter, head dipped down towards his chest, glasses slowly slipping off. she smiled slightly, unable to stop herself, despite the fact it made the bruise on her cheek ache. with effort, astra pushed herself with one arm to sit up in bed, the other arm wrapped and against her chest, probably for a day or two.

biting her lip to conceal a half asleep grin, astra reached towards james and pushed his glasses up. his head knocked back, eyes snapping open in a daze. they finally focused on astra, though, taking in her bruised face and messy hair, though a large part of his mind was focusing on the hidden smile she held.

"you need to get smaller glasses, darling." astra reminded him, grabbing the glass of water on her bedside table to take a gulp.

"yeah, i know, i know. how do you feel?" james asked worriedly, leaning forwards in his chair.

"bit shit, but my body's no longer bent in every wrong direction." astra hummed, taking another drink before she placed it back down.

"the bone in your forearm snapped and broke through the skin." james explained, shivering at the thought. "and your hip was shattered, and you broke some ribs, too."

"i remember, they were my arm, hip and ribs." astra joked.

james smiled softly, "poppy said you've gotta have that on your arm for a few days, just to be sure and not to put any pressure on your left side. so, no quidditch practice, but you get a couple days off going to classes."

"what a relief." astra sighed. "i really can't deal with dada at the minute. grimm's such a prick."

"i'm sure he'll send you lots of extra work to show he misses his favourite student." james mused and she chuckled quietly. "sirius was here all night, but he didn't really get a proper sleep in this chair so me and remus made him go to bed."

"you looked comfy." astra muttered.

james nodded, "these wooden seats with very thin cushions do wonders for amplifying pains in your bones you never knew you had."

"i'll be out later. sirius can finally give me a lecture full of hypocrisy." astra said, her words hiding the fact she wanted to hug her brother so tightly he couldn't breathe most days. "you see who it was? i can only make a highly educated guess."

james hummed, "i didn't see, i'm assuming our guess is the same. although, i saw leo go into dumbledore's office this morning. dunno if he'll mention who did it, not sure what he's like."

"i'd rather he didn't, to be honest." astra mumbled. james shot her a confused glance. "i got my hip, ribs and arm broke because i kicked salem off the team. imagine what he'll get for snitching on his own house. don't even get me started on his own blood type."

"i never thought about it like that." james mused.

astra smiled tiredly at him, "it was worth it, though."

"it was worth shattering your bones?" james asked with a raised eyebrow.

"fuck, yeah! i feel alright now. felt worse." astra beamed. "but i'd kill for some breakfast."

"tough tits, it's 4 in the afternoon, love." james smiled and she huffed quietly in annoyance. "but i snagged a sandwich and some chocolate for you from lunch."

astra smiled at him in adoration, thanking him quietly when he gave them to her as if the tiny action of care hadn't sent her heart hammering into her chest, battering a rhythm into her ribs. she wasn't used to this; feeling cared for. sirius always had, and she'd been the one to care for regulus, but neither of them had been much good at affection due to the fact they never had an example of it in the first place. they'd adjusted over time, realising it was okay to love and not pathetic, but they still hid behind jokes and rarely hugged. astra doubted she'd get used to affection, especially james'.

astra started to eat, grimacing when james pulled a small treacle tart wrapped in tissue from his pocket.

"your silent disgust is somehow still deafeningly loud." james laughed.

"sorry, they're just awful, darling! i don't know how you do it." astra muttered.

"well, i put it in my mouth and chew—"

"oh, piss off." astra grumbled, shoving him in his seat making him laugh softly. "what's been happening today?"

"lessons have been fairly quiet. oh, phoenix and alex got caught by mcgonagall in a broom closet at the end of lunch." james laughed and astra chuckled. "she's never looked so unimpressed yet smug at the same time. you do have some potions homework."

"yeah? what is it?" astra asked, breaking off a piece of chocolate.

"not much, just a bit of parchment and i doubt that's even gotta be well written." james shrugged. "it's about polyjuice potion."

"shit's easy then." astra hummed. james nodded and shuffled in his seat uncomfortably. "come sit in here."

"no, you're healing. i don't wanna take up any room." james denied, smiling brightly.

astra rolled her eyes with a fond grin, taking his hand, "sit with me, those seats hurt your arse."

"they really do." james agreed.

astra chuckled, "they really do, and i happen to like yours so come and sit with me."

"lookin' at my arse, black?" james gasped, slipping into the bed beside her.

"you would too if you could see it, potter." astra joked, pulling his arm around her shoulders to get comfortable, leaning her cheek on his chest. "have you ever thought that, as a school that's supposed to keep students safe while they're away from home, quidditch may not be the best game for that?"

"it's okay, though, 'cause it's fun." james hummed.

"oh, agreed. makes up for all the pain." astra smiled. "and the fact we're beating gryffindor." james groaned and she laughed quietly. "you were so cocky at the start of the year as well!"

"shut up, i regret ever agreeing to be tutored by you." james grumbled, pouting like a child.

"you'd be fucked without my help." astra beamed, weaving her legs between james' to get more comfortable as he grinned down at her.

"stop telling me facts, i enjoy delusion."

{1146}

i wish they didn't have to die for plot, i want dilf and milf james and astra

or will they, you'll never know