。forty-one 。

☆

sirius was figuring it out.

after seeing astra and james sitting so cozily on the sofa in the gryffindor common room, his hand on her thigh and astra's willingness to let it happen, he started to realise how much he'd been missing, catching up to what everyone else had been noticing for weeks.

one morning, he'd been sat with peter and remus at the gryffindor table in the great hall, the three of them plotting their next massive prank to annoy the teachers with when james strolled in. well, he kind of stumbled in. he looked distracted, eyes off in a far away thought. he plopped down across from sirius, leaning his chin on his fist, still spaced out. he eyed james weirdly, taking in his red lips and noticing the fact his hair seemed impossibly messier than usual.

"prongs?" remus asked, smirking smugly, ever the all-knowing.

"hm?" he hummed carelessly, eyes focused on the doors to the great hall.

"wanna give your input on the plan?" remus offered, dumbing his tone down, making peter snigger.

"sure." james agreed, turning to him.

he gave his input when they started discussing it again but not long after, he went silent again. remus and peter couldn't be bothered to pull him from his thoughts so carried on but sirius stared at his friend oddly again. he followed james' gaze behind him, watching astra sit down besides sophia at the hufflepuff table, phoenix and harley already there.

astra looked towards the table but her grey eyes went past him and she smiled slightly before turning back to sophia, pulling toast onto her plate. sirius looked back to see james was looking insanely pleased with himself, cheeks flushing pink. sirius squinted at james suspiciously but turned back to remus and peter's discussion, seeing that james clearly wasn't listening.

the next time he had to think things over was at the next hogsmeade trip. the marauders, astra, phoenix, harley, sophia, lily and alex all crammed into a booth in the three broomsticks, loud conversation buzzing between them all. james and alex went to the bar to get everyone's drinks after asking what people wanted.

"i think we should have a bet on the match." phoenix announced. "just us lot. winners get free drinks until summer." a murmur of agreement went around the booth. "i vote ravenclaw!"

harley scoffed, "you're just biased 'cause alex is on the team."

"and what about it? you'd be biased if you knew what he could do." phoenix retorted.

"i vote hufflepuff." remus spoke up, pulling out a small piece of parchment and a pen to write down everyone's votes.

"me too." lily agreed.

"i think ravenclaw's gonna win." harley disagreed. "the team's got a lot better this year."

astra hummed in agreement, placing a cigarette between her lips and lighting it, "harl's right. i vote ravenclaw, too."