。twenty-seven 。

☆

once again, astra found herself under the tree by the black lake, looking at the stars reflecting on the calm water. she really did prefer the night to the day. no one was around to judge her or try to change her or manipulate and belittle her. while quiet was one of the worst things she'd experienced, here, at hogwarts, it was also one of the best.

the frosty grass was blowing in the slight breeze that passed by, gently rippling the water and ruffling the leaves on the tree. astra leant back on the thick trunk of the tree, bringing her legs to her chest, brushing her hands up and down her legs, wiping off some of the frost that had stuck to her joggers.

like the other night, her stargazing/lake-gazing was interrupted by leaves crunching. and, like the other night, it was james potter. he smiled shyly at her when astra looked up at him, her face emotionless yet soft as she did so.

"can i sit?" james asked, gesturing beside her and she nodded, shuffling over a tad. he sat beside her. "how're you?"

"i'm... okay." astra answered faintly, looking back out onto the lake. "you?"

"confused." james hummed.

"lessons hard?" astra questioned. she didn't really know what to say.

"no, they're quite easy right now. you know that, slytherin and gryffindor mostly have the same schedule." james smiled and she nodded, leaning her chin on her knees, keeping her eyes off of him. "you're a lot easier to talk to at night. well, usually. why's that?"

"there's no one around to degrade and taunt me." astra muttered. "it's just me. well," she glanced at him finally and he relished in seeing her beautiful, smiling face, "usually."

"i can go, if you like." he offered as he had in the past.

"i don't want you to." astra shook her head. "but i also don't know what to say."

"you don't have to say anything. i'll do the talking this time, how's that?" james questioned.

"alright, what's the topic?" astra quizzed.

"this witch i know." james replied and astra hid back the sadness she was feeling, as if she'd forgotten she was a witch herself. "she's a very confusing person. i know very little about her, but i want to know everything. i don't care if it's the most random and pointless fact about her, like if she prefers salt or pepper, i want to know it. i want to figure her out, because she's wiggled her way into every passing thought i have. but i don't mind. i like thinking about her, even remembering how she holds a quill makes me wonder more about her. her voice is soft and enticing, i could listen to it forever on repeat. if it was cruel words, i don't think they'd sound horrible coming from her. at least, not how she sounds to me. she's stuck in my head and i can't, for the life of me, get rid of her. but if she was gone, i think i'd be lost."