27

Antonio wasn't really focused on the Cold Ones though, his concern laying on his dear friend Leah who had yet to get back to him about the offer he had made. It was something that he had planned to discuss with his wives over dinner, but it was something he also had to confirm with Leah. They had yet to even meet Leah, though they knew the girl meant a lot to him just with how close they were together. Jennifer could be more accepting considering she was the one to discuss having a nanny once before, but Isla was more on the side of caring for her own child in fear of something bad happening. Both women had different ideas for the same thing, and it was difficult to cater towards their wants, and needs at times.

He couldn't rush through this in fear of either party getting hurt, but he also didn't want to go back on his promise he made to Leah. It was all so complicated, and the only thing he could do was throw himself even farther into work just to avoid thinking about all of this. He needed to talk with Isla and Jennifer, talk with Leah, and somewhat convince Sue and Harry that this would be a good thing for the girl. He only knew the past from them, and not the present, and with the Cold Ones being around the area, they weren't going to be too keen on letting their only daughter out in the big dangerous world where they couldn't protect her with the treaty. He really only had one person who he could talk to confidently about this, yet sitting before him during his break at the Sheriff's Department was a little intimidating considering the man was looking at him as if he was crazy.

"Son, are you hearing what you're saying?" Harry would be damned to allow any of his children out of his sight. The Elders were real sticklers about letting any of their people leave the reservation, and he couldn't understand why. He was good friends with the older people, but maybe the White in him was just too ignorant to grasp their reason for doing the things they did, "they'll cast the poor girl aside like they did with Rachel if she ever left." He sounded very much concerned, but the little voice in the back of his head was whispering that it probably had to do with the fact he was probably white. They wouldn't want her to leave the reservation with a white man.

"I know, though she really does need help." It hurt him to leave her in that situation, and it hurt even more to know that his father was kinda right about her not wanting to leave because of the shunning she'll receive, "have you seen Leah recently." That honey colored glow she used to have on her was no more, and her physical state seemed to worsen far beyond the average human female's stature. It bothered him, but he would never forcibly take her away if she didn't want to go.

"No, I haven't seen the poor girl ever since she got broken up with, but I'm sure her parents are doing everything they can to make sure she's better." At least he hoped so, Harry never mentioned his daughter whenever he hung out around him, only mentioning the fact that Seth seemed to be doing good, and what his wife was planning on fixing for tonight's dinner. It worried him, but it was none of his business at the end of the day. The girl was eighteen, if she really wanted to leave, she would've done so by now.

"I offered her to live with me. A change of scenery, and a chance to get back on her feet without the hounding of her family." He saw the disapproval in his father's eyes, but he kept talking, "all she would need to do in return is watch Kyrie for us. She'll get a place to stay, a wage for babysitting, and the opportunity to do whatever she wants." He had everything set for her, a bedroom that was far enough from the three of their rooms to give her a sense of privacy, food, clothing, hell even a job at his company if babysitting didn't settle well for her. He would damn near give her the world if she asked for it, because isn't that what a brother is supposed to do?

"Good to know that you're ready to help, but did she ask for it? Son, I love you, and I'm very much proud of the fact that you're so willing to help the girl out, but does she really want those things? Isn't it a little pressuring for a girl her age to uproot her life and move somewhere else?" He wasn't convinced, the pinched forehead, down turned lips, and the tightly clasped hands underneath his chin gave it all away. It was exactly what Antonio did when something wasn't going in his favor. It made him rethink his words for a moment, replaying the scene of him offering his help to her, and seeing if he could find any signs that she might've taken offense to his words, "Let her think, if she wants to take your offer, then she'll call or text you first." He'll hate to have some bad blood between two of his friends, because his son had forced their daughter away from them. It took him a long time to be friends with the folks down by the reservation, and he wouldn't be very happy if it all ended because of something that shouldn't have concerned them in the first place.

"Okay." That finger that was gracing Leah's personal cell had paused on the keyboard. Erasing whatever he was just about to send, in fear of actually pressuring the girl unknowingly.

Would you like to talk more about what we|

Would you like to talk more abo\

Would you like to\

Wou|

He instead switched over to the group chat he had with Jennifer and Isla. Typing out something quick, and putting it away to check after he'd left the department, "I'll take your words into consideration and let Leah make the first move, but I'll be heading out tonight." He needed a drink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doubt can change any type of person if left unattended for too long.
Also how we feel about the advice from Charlie?