00

97 days

97 days.

The machines were so, emotionless. Was that possible, for non-living matter and synthetic biological organisms to lack emotion? It sure seemed that way.

It had been a long, drawn out 97 days, and Brianna laid on the soft hospital cot, appearing even worse than when she'd gotten there ninety-seven days ago. There was no longer any hope. You could tell from the quality of the air that this room wouldn't hold life for much longer.

"You quit that crying, you hear?" Her hoarse voice croaked out, still as southern as ever, even with the little talking she'd been doing as of lately.

Dream didn't answer her. Unfortunately, she had nothing to say. No words of comfort, no goodbyes, no more 'please stay's'. None of the prayers or medications were working anymore, so mere words were helpless.

"Nana, look at me." She spoke again, and at the desperation in her voice, Dream picked her head up from her mother's leg.

Brianna's hands tiredly reached up to wipe away Dream's tears, trying not to cry herself. She couldn't bear to see her daughter like this any longer. This was killing her faster than the ovarian cancer was.

Tears weren't helping anything either, but it was all the two could do in a time like this. Brianna was losing her battle quickly, and she wasn't sure if she would make it to the next hour. Her body was so tired, but she was fighting hard to stay a little longer.

Death was a scary-scratch that, terrifying, thing to think about. Much more to actually go through. Brianna wasn't sure what would come next, where would she go next? She only hoped that God would show mercy on her soul.

"You will be fine, okay? There's n-n-no where that you could go, that I w-won't be with you. Y-you hear?" She stammered exhaustively, hot tears sliding down her cheeks.

How could Dream ever believe that? She didn't believe in fairytales. How could Brianna be dead, but be with her at the same time? It wasn't logically possible and they both knew it, even with as badly as they wanted to believe it.

"I know, mama. Don't talk, okay? You have to save your energy to see Nonna tomorrow." Dream referred to Brianna's mom, but they both knew she wouldn't make it in time to say her goodbyes.

"Aw, baby, you know t-t-that lady 'ont wanna see me, chile." She chuckled, feeling her eyes try to daze back. It was nearing. Death was choking her from the inside and it was so obviously visible to the naked eye.

"Yes she does mama. She's coming, she promised." Her voice cracked, standing up from her seat to protest her mother's statement, wanting her to fight a little longer.

There was no use in putting off the inevitable. It would be better to acknowledge it, accept it, and then just let go. They'd been fighting for six years, not just the last 97 days in hospice.

"You take c-care of yourself, Nana. Do n-n-not let them folks control y-you, you hear? You tell your daddy to let up on you, tell him I said so, tell him I'll get him, in the grave and all." She rubbed the back of Dream's hand, not ever wanting to let her daughter go.

She was still a baby; the young age of fifteen. Her life hadn't even begun yet, and she had to watch her mother's end. The universe could be so unfair at times, but what could they do?

"Mama, I won't do no good without you. Them people don't like me, mama. I only have you. Please don't leave me. I need you." Dream cried, begged, pleaded. She didn't know how she'd ever be able to accept this.

Brianna wasn't just her mother, but she was her best friend too-her only friend, at that. Dream didn't fit in with anyone, and neither did her mother. They weren't accepted by most in their community. There was no way Dream would be able to go on without her.

She would give whatever to switch positions with her mom. To be the one laying on the hospital mattress, on her last few minutes of breath as the cancer began to win the long-lasting fight. It was almost over.

"You'll be fine," She repeated, "I raised you. I know you'll be fine. I love you, Nana. I love you so much. Always remember that for me, okay? Can you do that?"

At this point, Dream's tears couldn't be stopped. They burned in the rim of her eyes, and streamed down her puffy, red cheeks. Her throat was being occupied by an emotional lump, and she was sure she'd have an outburst at any moment.

"Yes. I love you too mommy. I'm so sorry." She stood over her, a small pout on her face from her bottom lip that quivered in sorrow.

Brianna's tired eyes gazed into hers, and slowly, Dream watched as the life drained from them. Gone, within a second, as if her sweet soul had never even been there.

In an instant, Dream was left without a mother. Without her best friend, her protector and guidance, her reason for everything. This world would be nothing without her.

Dream would be nothing without her.

Bwahahahahaha