10

Dream dabbed under her eye with a Kleenex tissue, hoping that her makeup wasn't staining yet

Dream dabbed under her eye with a Kleenex tissue, hoping that her makeup wasn't staining yet. She was glad that she'd decided against wearing mascara when she was doing her makeup this morning.

She hit the unlock button on her key fob, and then got in her car after waving at a few members of the congregation that were leaving a little early as well.

The Potter's House was the church that Dream belonged to, and it wouldn't be getting out for another hour; but she knew that it would be plenty of foot traffic, so she always left earlier than everyone else.

Even though she was forcibly Amish, Dream didn't consider herself to be religious in the least, but she still preferred to go to the Christian church over the one in her own community.

Her mother had taught her that her relationship with God was far more important than deciding which religion she would belong to, so she didn't personally claim any of them.

To her, religion dominated your life more than anything else; forcing you to live a certain way or else you wouldn't be 'accepted'. It crippled the true word and path from God, and suffocated you with chains to keep you 'disciplined'. That was way too much for Dream to handle.

So, she was on her own journey with God, on a far deeper level than what she was taught. It was only her and Him, and He was teaching her things everyday, so she had yet to regret straying completely away from the Amish.

When she went to church on Sunday's at The Potter's House, and listened to the word taught by Bishop T.D. Jakes, it didn't feel forced anymore. He was calm when he spoke, and thorough as well. She understood everything, and felt it strengthened her personal relationship with God.

Dream didn't go every Sunday, though. She mostly only went when she felt like she needed it, or was looking for a sign; as if she was being called to go there. Today just so happened to be one of those days.

Stopping at a red light, Dream looked down at her phone after it had buzzed with two notifications a few minutes apart.

She groaned in annoyance at all three notifications, tossing her phone in the passenger seat. She wasn't made for this life, being a 'city girl'. This was becoming aggravating, real fast.