01

Dream's foot shook from side to side, her right leg crossed over her left one as she desperately tried to pay attention to the lecture being taught by her professor

With the freezing cold air, dimmed room lights, and piano music playing lightly from the speakers of the classroom, it was as if Mr.Standford was trying to put the class to sleep.

She had previously stayed up the night before doing homework until six this morning, and this class started at eight so she'd barely gotten any sleep. The only reason she'd done so was because if she didn't complete the homework for all her classes last night, none of it would be done on time since she was booked and busy the rest of the week.

It was a known fact that she was a procrastinator; a trait she'd developed from her teenage years, and she didn't think it would ever change since putting things off still worked out in her favor every time.

After catching herself from dozing off, Dream sat up in her seat, using her thumb to rub the sleep from her eyes. Then, she took a sip from her vanilla bean frappuccino, and finally tuned back into the lesson.

"So, with that being said, who can name one thing derived from black people? Nothing's off limits." Mr.Standford leaned against his desk, staring out at his classroom of 42 students.

This was Dream's only class on Friday's, and it was called Ethnic Studies. With a lot of cultural movements going on recently, it was recommend for students to take the class to learn about different cultures and their origins.

Dream honestly only took it to fill her schedule since she needed some elective credits. This was her last year of college, and at this point she was basically done. She barely even paid attention in class anymore.

To get some extra credit points, and to wake herself up even further, she raised her hand, being called on a few seconds later.

"I think the better question to ask is what isn't derived from black culture? We've literally been the trendsetters since trendsetting was a thing. If I had to choose one that has a big impact on people today, I'd say the fashion and beauty trends."

"Like, hoop earrings, long flashy nails, oh-bundles too-or, extensions for the whites. Um, even hats. Those aren't as popular as they were in the 90s, but still very much in effect. Oh, speaking of 'very much', our dialect is one of the biggest trends, like, ever." Dream's hands made different gestures as she explained, most of the class' attention now on her.

She rarely ever spoke up in class, mostly because she didn't like to be the center of attention-like now. It wasn't a nervousness type of thing; it was just slightly irritating to be stared at-even if no one meant any harm.

"Talk that shit sista." One of her friends, Aria, chimed in from near the front of the classroom, and a few other people agreed with her.

"Great job, Dream. Any counter arguments?" Mr.Stanford looked across the class, looking to start a debate. He wanted to see different viewpoints from his students.