26

Kentrell shifted the way that he held Dream in his arms, still pacing around a silent hospital room while gently rocking her in his arms

Kentrell shifted the way that he held Dream in his arms, still pacing around a silent hospital room while gently rocking her in his arms. She hadn't slept since the incident happened, and neither had he, but he was more worried about her getting rest than he was himself.

Oh, and scratch that, the hospital room wasn't silent at all. In fact, the volume was ironically deafening. The room was filled with the slow beeps of a cardiac event monitor that recorded the activity of Dayvon's heart, who was being kept alive only by an oxygen tank because he couldn't breathe on his own.

The right side of his lungs had been punctured from two gunshot wounds, and he'd just came out of surgery a few hours ago which had fixed part of his collapsed lung. That had been his third surgery since he'd been admitted, and the one that sent him into a medically induced coma.

The first surgery was to remove the bullets and stop his internal bleeding, but he had momentarily died on the table, and luckily was resuscitated by an automated CPR machine, which resulted in a second emergency surgery to save his life.

Dream had been so sad the whole time, knowing that there was nothing to do. He looked so lifeless on the hospital bed, so drained of any energy that had previously been there. On top of that, she was so angry with herself because the last thing they had done, was argue.

Though she had given a small apology before he left, that wasn't nearly enough. The fact that she ignored him for an entire two hours earlier that day had her sick to her stomach. Her childish ways could've been the last memory she had with him, had he died on the operation table. That would've broken her heart.

She had a hard time wrapping her head around what had happened, given she'd never been in such a violent situation like this before. This reminded her of when she'd lost her mother, which had her even more emotional. That wasn't something she wanted to go through again.

"Shh," Kentrell rubbed her back to quiet down her soft cries, a small frown on his face. He hated to see her crying, and he wasn't sure if he had the mental strength to help comfort her, while grieving over Von's near-death incident at the same time. It was too much going on at once.

He felt like this could have been avoided if only Dayvon had left when he'd told him to. That didn't mean that Kentrell blamed him though, he just he would've been there with him to prevent the situation.

When he'd heard the gunshots over the phone, it felt like his whole world had stopped. He couldn't see anything since the phone was faced down, but for some reason, he knew that Von was on the wrong side of the gun. It killed him on the inside that he couldn't be there with him, because he knew that if he had been, Von wouldn't be fighting for his life right now.

By the time he had sped to the scene, it was already blocked off by police tape, and Von wasn't there anymore, and neither were anyone from his camp. Durk ended up calling him just a few minutes later though, and ever since, neither him nor Dream had left the hospital.