23│Speranza

Third Person's Point of View

Inside the Theatre Auditorium of Speranza

IT'S EVENING ON THE SHIP. The event of the play is about an ancient Greek myth of Icarus and Daedalus. Ovid narrates the story of Icarus at some length in his book, the Metamorphoses.

Daedalus: Earth and water might impede our escape, but the sky is free! Even here in the darkest depths, there remains a spark of hope.

Icarus: These are my wings? With these wings... Can I fly freely in the sky?

Daedalus: Icarus, listen to me.

Daedalus: Freedom can address the mind. Arrogance can lead to death. Even the birds exercise caution when they fly. Fly too close to the ocean, and the sea spray will weigh down your wings. But neither must you soar too high, for the sun will melt your wings made of wax.

There, Sae Chabashira is sitting at the theatre. Listening to every dialogue that each character of the play throws to the other. All the chairs from the front row around her are empty.

Split second and then the two boys named Kiyotaka Ayanokoji and Axel Arison appeared behind Sae Chabashira. They casually went to sit beside her.

"This feels like a waste of taxpayer money."

"Ah this is boring." Axel said while yawning, he put his head on Kiyotaka's shoulder. On the other hand Kiyotaka didn't mind that he is quite happy if Axel is depending on him.

Chabashira didn't look at the two boys as her face focused on the play in front of her.

"A few days ago, a certain man contacted the school. ''Expel Kiyotaka Ayanokoji together with Axel Arison" he said."

"I wonder what that could mean." Kiyotaka deliberately closed his eyes.

"I don't know who that person was, but you know you can't expel someone without a reason." Axel on the other hand also closed his eyes.

Icarus: I'll be okay. I can do it.

Daedalus: Icarus!

"Naturally. So long as you two are students here, the rules will protect the both of you. Of course, if you two cause any trouble, that's another matter altogether." Chabashira said.

Icarus: The sky is so close. Father, watch me! I'm flying ... Father, watch me! I'm flying! Look how small Crete has become!

The audience clapped in awe. Kiyotaka stared at the man who was sent upwards by a string as if he was really flying.