38│Dark Past

Third Person's Point of View

SOMETIMES A DEEP, heavy noise echoed throughout the dark level. Perhaps it was the sound of the ship changing course, or maybe it was because the ship had bumped into something. A lone girl came here, a place where all you could hear was the sound of machines.

"What's going on? I can't connect to... There's no signal."

There were still over ten minutes left before her arranged meeting with Hirata. Maybe she'd arrived a little early to calm herself down. After she realized that she couldn't use her phone, she put it back in her pocket and leaned against the wall, apparently bored.

Once four o'clock rolled around, the door opened. The two boys heard the dull sound of it. Three girls from Class C stepped through Manabe and her friends. Wait... there was one other person with them. She seemed meek, rather like Sakura.

This was probably Rika.

"It's all right." Manabe said as she reassured Rika. Then she saw Karuizawa. Naturally, Karuizawa noticed them, too.

"Wh-what are you doing here?!" Karuizawa yelled at them. She is so confused about what is happening. The passageways inside the ship were narrow, so there weren't many escape routes. Running away would be difficult.

"I just happened to see you come in here, that's all. Well, I suppose this is the perfect opportunity. Let me introduce you. This is Rika. Do you remember her, Karuizawa-san?" Manabe said as she smirked.

Manabe grabbed Rika, who was hiding behind her, and pulled her forward. She and Karuizawa were now facing each other. Karuizawa averted her eyes, pretending like she didn't know her, but judging from her behavior it was obvious she remembered.

"Hey, Rika. Karuizawa-san was the one who shoved you, right?" Manabe asked Rika.

"Y-Yeah... she's the one." Rika replied.

After hearing such a clear answer, Manabe smiled, looking happy as could be. Karuizawa, on the other hand, appeared increasingly anxious and confused. Axel and Kiyotaka, who are on the top floor staring at the scene, the only thing they could do now was stay quiet and observe the miserable events that were about to unfold.

"Apologize to Rika." Manabe demand.

"H-huh? Who's apologizing? I haven't done anything wrong."

"Still acting tough. You're a real piece of work, aren't you? But I think I understand now, more or less."

"What do you mean?"

"Your behavior. You're unusually fearful. Karuizawa-san, you were bullied, weren't you?" Manabe said, making Karuizawa flinced.