40.2│Fortune Telling

Kiyotaka's Point of View

SPECIAL EXAM. The first thing that comes to mind upon hearing that word would normally be writing exams or practical tests related to sports or something along the lines of that. However, at the school I and Axel attend, the Advanced Nurturing High School, special exams aren't simple things like that.

A special exam that pits classes against each other in a survival test on an uninhabited island, or an intellectually demanding game that pits liars against liars on a cruise ship. Such tests that surpass logic continued one after another over the course of the summer vacation.

For a first-year student like me, the days of brief respite from all that, including today, numbered only seven days.

"Well, I couldn't care less."

I'm already satisfied with my current situation, just having my freedom with Axel. I don't wish for any extra happiness.

There are things I can still do without many connections with the others. As a matter of fact I'm doing one of those things right now, using my phone to access my point balance. I saw on the screen that I currently had 106,219 points. Of them, I transferred 100,000 points to one of my classmates, Sudo Ken. And not too long after, the person who received the transfer, Sudo, called me.

"Yo, Ayanokouji. What are you doing right now?"

"Nothing really. Just wondering what's for dinner tonight." Well I already ate but I just don't know what to say.

Axel is currently in his room, doing something that I don't know. I sighed.

"Heh, for myself, I just now ate some chicken tenders. Tastes all right, but I'd definitely get tired of them if I ate them too often, so I try to change things up a bit. Ah, that's not important at all. What I wanted to talk to you about is fortune telling."

"Huh? Do I look like a psychic to you?"

For a simpleton like Sudou, I hardly imagined he was interested in fortune-telling.

"Honestly, there's a crazy-accurate fortune-teller over at the Keyaki Mall, but they're only gonna be there during summer vacation. I guess it's big among the seniors. Even when I'm doing club stuff, all anyone talks about is that fortune-teller. Wanna check it out with me? My treat, of course."

Sudo's invitation, huh? Speaking of Keyaki Mall, it seems to be that facility that students often use. Since students are obligated to live on school grounds, it is necessary to prepare the required facilities for students. But it's not as diverse and unlimited as the outside world.

Well, since I have nothing particular to do, I suppose I could spare some time for my friend. So, why not join him?

"When do you want to go?"