43│ Fondness

Axel's Point of View

A CROWD OF HUNDRED PEOPLE, including instructors and students, gathered together in the gymnasium during our second homeroom period. I am just standing here beside Kiyo who is also roaming around the venue. I looked at Horikita.

I raised my brows. She seemed restless as she looked around at her surroundings. She is probably looking for her brother, Horikita Manabu, who serves as this school's student council president. However, with this many people around, she wouldn't be able to spot him easily.

When we sat down on the floor, several students came forward. Everyone focused their attention on them.

"I'm Fujimaki, from the third-year Class A. It's been decided that I will assume command of the Red Team." Apparently it doesn't seem like Horikita's brother is taking charge here.

I had thought he would be taking charge of everything since he is the student council president but that doesn't seem to be the case.

"I'd like to give the first-year students one piece of advice. The sports festival is extremely important. Your experiences here will most certainly be applicable to real life. In fact, many of your future exams may look like games at first glance. However, each and every one of them is a crucial battle in which you stake your survival at this school. You may not feel motivated right now, but we're going to try and win this thing. I want you to hold on to that feeling."

From the senior students such ambiguous yet appreciated words of advice came.

"The only event in which all the school years will be participating in is the 1200 meter relay at the end. Other than that, all the other events will have the school years divided up. After this, please assemble according to your school years and discuss your strategy going forward."

Following Fujimaki's words, Class A led by Katsuragi began to assemble in droves. The first-year Class D students, on the other hand, appeared to flounder. They felt nervous in the company of such elites.

"It seems we'll be forming a united front in a bizarre manner but let's get along. If possible, I'm thinking we could join forces without any quarrels amongst teammates." Katsuragi said.

"I feel the same way too, Katsuragi-kun. Let's get along." Hirata said with a smile. Standing at a close distance to one another, Katsuragi and Hirata both declare their intention to cooperate. However, that seemed impossible to happen.

"Hey, check out that girl." Ike whispered, standing beside me. But it's not like I don't understand his urge to whisper that. A single student from Class A felt out of place here.

My thought was immediately interrupted as there was a commotion in the gymnasium. It turned out that both the leaders of Class B and Class C, followed by their respective classmates approached us. The leader of Class B, Ichinose Honami spoke out.