44│ Craving

Kiyotaka's Point of View

A FULL SCALE PREPARATIONS HAVE BEGUN, in anticipation of the sports festival that will be commencing in a month's time. The teachers said we could use the weekly two-hour homeroom period as we wished, and Hirata, who was the closest person we had to a leader, took the initiative.

Chabashira-sensei moved toward the back of the classroom and didn't say a word. She probably intended to watch.

There are two things which we must decide on in preparation for the actual event.

"Before we start practicing, we need to decide the order we'll participate in, and who will enter the recommended-participant competitions. I would like to make a proposal, if that's okay for you guys." Hirata said.

"Even if you say decide, how are we going to do that?" Sudo said, From Sudo's perspective, a rather uninteresting discussion is starting.

I heard a yawn from Axel. I sighed.

Sleepy head.

"Good question. For example, in the events for all participants, we–"

Perhaps to make it easier to understand than an explanation here, Hirata gripped the chalk and began writing on the blackboard. He put two headings on the board, "Raising Hands," and "Ability," then explained what those meant as he wrote down supplemental information.

"It's still a rough sketch but basically I think it boils down to these two. This is the 'Raising Hands' system where we'll listen to your desired order of participation. And this is the 'Ability' system where we'll ascertain your abilities to raise efficiency. Both approaches have their pros and cons, of course. The strength of the raising-hands system is, naturally, that everyone gets to voice their wishes. Well, the cons are that in the case that the desired orders overlap, not everyone can have it their way and the outcomes will become uneven." he continued.

Hmm. If we adopt the system where we let everyone have it their way in regards to the order, inevitably that would be the result. However, it can smoothly lower the emotional hurdles.

Hirata paused for a while before continuing. He was expecting someone to voice out their question or opinion but no one did.

"If there's no question, then we'll move to the next criteria, the 'Ability' system. This one is much simpler. The strength of the ability system is that we can expect a higher chance of victory than we would with the raising-hands system. However, because the ability system favors the most athletic people in the class, it reduces the other students' chances of winning at something. That's all I have to share. I've thought about it roughly but if you have any ideas other than these two please feel free to speak your opinion."