Saturday

Nick found himself bouncing around all Saturday morning, tidying up his room at his mother's demand—no one needed to see it in its end-of-the-week chaos, she said. She was probably right, he thought, although his tidying was more tucking things into the closet and under the bed than a proper clean-up. He was too energetic for much more than that. He took Nellie on a quick walk, but hurried back, just in case Charlie was early.

But Charlie was right on time. The bell rang just a shade after the stroke of noon.

Nick opened the door, smiling when he saw Charlie standing there. He realised only now that he hadn't been entirely certain Charlie would really come. "Hey."

"Hey." Charlie took his hat off. His hair looked different, somehow.

Nick tried to put his finger on what had changed, but at his feet, Nellie whined, waiting for attention. "Uh ... this is Nellie."

Charlie bent over her immediately, petting her affectionately. "Hey, Nellie. You're so adorable."

When he stood up, Nick could see that his hair was shorter, recently cut. Still curly, though, which was good. Charlie would look strange without his curls. "You got a haircut." Without thinking, he reached out to ruffle Charlie's bangs.

"Um ... Is it ..." Charlie chuckled nervously. "Is it bad?"

"No! No, you look—" He caught himself, not sure what he had meant to say, and ended rather lamely, "It looks great." Nellie whined again, and Nick realized they were still standing in the doorway. "Okay, you'd better come in or Nellie will think we're going for a walk."

"Okay." Charlie followed him inside, taking off his coat and things and hanging them up.

"Come on in to the kitchen and meet my mum. Do you want a cup of tea?"

"That would be nice." Charlie followed him in.

Nick's mum looked up from her book. "Oh, are you Charlie, then? Welcome. Did you have a long walk?"

"No, only about ten minutes."

"And you and Nick know each other from rugby?"

Nick smiled, pouring the hot water from the kettle. "Now that I've forced him to join, we do. Do you regret it yet, Charlie?"

"Not yet. If I have to play in a game, that might be different."

"Let's hope that doesn't happen, then. Although I'm sure you'll be fine."

"I had a good teacher."

"Oh, that's right, Nick said he'd been teaching you. He's done a good job, then, has he?" Nick's mum asked.

"Good enough." Charlie grinned at him over his mug of tea. For some reason, Nick found himself blushing.

"All right, then." Nick downed the rest of his tea. "I believe someone came over to get beaten at MarioKart."

"Well, that's a relief," his mum said. "Poor Nick, he's had to play against me so long, I don't know if he remembers how to play against anyone decent."

"Mum!"

She smiled. "Sorry."

"It's all right." He returned the smile, glad that at least she hadn't called him Nicky. He didn't mind when it was just the two of them—in fact, he kind of liked it—but when friends came over, that was a bit much.

They retired to Nick's room and he fired up the MarioKart. And proceeded to lose, badly, again and again and again.

"Seriously, now. One more game. I think I've worked out your weaknesses."