forty nine

24 April 2021

"Dad!"

My head turns to see Capri, smiling as she walks towards me. Her curls half tied back, a few framing her face and a pink bandana on her head.

"Did you have a good day at school?" I ask, embracing her once she's close to me. She nods against my chest before pulling away and dropping her backpack onto the coffee table.

"How's Pos?" She asks, walking over to where her baby sister is sitting in the bouncer on the floor, crouching down and gently taking her sister's tiny hand.

I walk after her, sitting on the edge of the coffee table, "she's feeling better."

"Mhm, cause she lied."

My brows raise at Capri's reveal, watching as she pulls faces so her baby sister giggles. "Do you know why she lied?"

Capri turns to look over her shoulder at me, pursing her lips out in thought before she shakes her head in denial.

"Can you watch her?" I gesture to her sister and she nods, "shout if she starts getting fussy."

She nods and I head up the stairs towards Posie's room, gently knocking on her white door before gently pushing it open and seeing her perched up in bed with her blonde hair tied messily on top of her head while she reads a book.

"Hi, Sunflower." I smile, seeing her put her bookmark in her page before shutting the book and I invite myself in.

"Hi."

I take a seat on the end of her bed, facing her as she picks at the pink nail polish on her nails, clearly getting a little nervous.

"Can you talk to me about why you felt ill today? Was it your anxiety making you feel sick, worried about something that was happening at school today?" I ask her softly, she's thirteen and being in a school with people as old as eighteen has really made her more nervous.

She looks down at her lap, "it wasn't about school." She admits and I nod, Addie's always known how to help Posie with her anxiety and even after almost eight years I still don't quite know how to help. I'm learning though.

"No? Why didn't you want to go today?" I ask, "I'm not mad at all, Pos, I'd rather you stay here everyday than go out." I add in quickly and I see a little smile crack on her lips as she lifts her head.

"Can I drop out then?"

I smile, "you know what I'll make you a deal." She looks intrigued, "you tell me what's bothering you today and I'll speak to mum and see what she thinks."

Posie nods, "I was just worried about Mumma." She admits softly, being honest with me.

"Oh, my sweet Sunflower, you don't have to worry about Mumma. She's okay." I reassure, shuffling over to haul my biggest baby into a big hug.