sixty six

13 September 2021 - 10am

"Just lean on me, I've got you." Anne is practically holding me up as she guides me into the front doors of the hospital, talking to me softly because it's all escalating quickly and I'm panicking.

A nurse rushes to aid us, wheeling a wheelchair over so I can sit down before my legs give way. Anne lowers me into it, keeping her hand in mine to comfort me as we're wheeled towards the front desk of the maternity ward.

We're given paperwork to fill out, Anne doing it for me. There's no way I could even hold a pen right now, my hands are way too shaky and I keep crying.

Anne set Niall in charge of figuring out where Harry is, he's promised me he'll find him and get him to me no matter what.

Once I'm signed in, the nurse wheels us to the room I had requested to be in. It's a pretty room, a lovely view out the window and a very calming atmosphere which I desperately need right now.

Inside the room I'm given a hospital gown which I put on in the bathroom before I'm helped onto the bed. "Hi darling, I'm Emma and I'll be your support nurse while we deliver your sweet baby. Dr Reese is on her way over now."

I nod my head as she continues to talk, "I'm just going to monitor yours and the baby's heart rate and get an IV sorted. Have you got a name picked out yet?" She makes casual conversation with me to distract me from what she's doing.

"I've got his middle name, not his first name." I grit my teeth as another contraction begins to tear through my body and Anne comforts me through it. "Luca after my father." I tell the nurse who smiles.

"That's very sweet, I'm sure you'll figure his name out when you meet him." I nod, turning my head to look at Anne who smooths my hair out of my face so I don't look at the IV being inserted.

Dr Reese joins us quite quickly, frowning when she realises Harry isn't in here with me but she doesn't say anything which I appreciate.

"Hi Addie! Excited to meet your baby boy?" She washes her hands before pulling some gloves onto her hands and sitting on her stool.

"Yeah, little nervous." I'm honest and she nods in understanding.

"I'll just check how much you're dilated and then we'll talk about your birth plan." She smiles warmly and helps me get my feet up so she can check.

I look at Anne who's smiling softly down at me, her thumb drawing little circles on my forehead and I smile back up at her, nudging into her touch.

"You're five centimetres dilated, halfway there."