Chapter 1

Tommy awoke to the sound of loud knocking. He jolted upright, and shot out of bed. A voice shouted from outside "Get up now boy! There's a family that wants to meet you, they are considering adopting so you better be on your best behaviour. They will be here in 15 minutes so be quick."

Tommy groaned silently to himself as he got ready. He went into the bathroom and changed the bandaged on his arms, then pulled out a black hoodie so that if the blood does soak through it wouldn't be visible. His mind was going crazy. What if they don't like me? What if they hurt me? How long will it be before they send me back? Will they be nice at first or hit me from the start? How many of them are there? Will i be able to run away?  But he pushed the thoughts aside, and walked slowly down the stairs to where he knew Mrs Drue would be waiting. 

"Speed up boy the family are already here! Now don't speak unless you are spoken to, and don't be rude. If you are good then maybe we can have a week or two of peace from you!" Mrs Drue said and she pushed him into the room and shut the door behind him with a bang, He flinched at the noise, before turning to look at the three figures sitting on chairs on one side of the room. 

The man, clearly their father, had blond hair and was wearing a green and white striped bucket hat. The second was a boy with messy brown hair and dark brown eyes. He was tapping his fingers on the table in front of him and quietly humming a tune, but looked up when Tommy entered the room. The third had long braided pink hair, and fiery red eyes. He was wearing a red cape and a golden chain around his neck, with knee high boots, and he was staring at Tommy with a fierce expression on his face. Tommy froze as all their eyes turned to him, his breathing speeding up slightly. What if he said the wrong thing? What if they hurt him? He should make them dislike him now so they don't foster him. But what if they did anyway and just hurt him more for it?   He was panicking now, his breath coming in short bursts, he clenched his fists hard, digging his nails into his palm to stop the panic attack he could feel coming on. 

He flinched as the man with the bucket hat stood up, pulling him out of his thoughts, he was frowning slightly at Tommy's fright and Tommy panicked even more. I've made him angry already, he hates me, he's gonna hurt me. But the man said gently "Hi, what's your name? I'm Phil, and this is Techno," He gestured towards the boy with long pink hair, "And this is Wilbur," And he gestured to the brunette boy. 

When Tommy didn't reply he said, "It's Tommy right? How about you come and sit down," 

Tommy shook himself, taking a deep breath and walking over to where a chair sat opposite them. Phil sat back down as well, glancing at Wilbur quickly who looked concerned before facing Tommy again. "So, tell us a bit about  yourself. Do you have any hobbies?"

"Umm... I uh..." Tommy internally cursed himself for his stuttering. He took a breath and said quietly "I like to draw," 

Phil smiled at him, glad that he had said something, then looked at Wilbur and Techno, "How about you two tell him a bit about yourselves?" 

"Ok! Hi! I'm Wilbur! I'm 16 and I like to play the guitar, and write my own music," Wilbur said, grinning enthusiastically. 

Tommy wasn't sure if he was supposed to speak, so instead he just nodded, and quickly looked down at his hands.

"I'm Techno, and I like Minecraft I guess,"

"I play Minecraft too!" Tommy said excitedly, his voice raising slightly. He immediately realised what he had done and froze, then looked down and whispered, "Sorry, I should have been quieter," 

"That's ok, Buddy! Tell us about what you do on Minecraft!" Phil said, noticing the boy's reaction and hoping to encourage him to speak more. 

Tommy looked up hesitantly. They weren't going to hit him? They were probably waiting until they were away from the orphanage. They needn't have bothered, they hit him all the time here. Not wanting to seem rude he said, "Well I like to play on creative and build stuff, but if there are others I like to do combat on survival," he paused and when Phil didn't speak he continued, "But I can't play very much, we aren't allowed devices here, so I can only play with my friend Ranboo who got adopted a year ago."

They continued to talk like this for a while, Phil asking questions and Tommy replying hesitantly, Wilbur sometimes putting in something and Techno mostly staying quiet unless asked something. Eventually it had been 30 minutes and Mrs Drue came in saying that the time was up and that she needed to speak with them. The three stood up to go, but before they left Phil said, "Tommy, what do you think about us fostering you?" 

Tommy wasn't quite sure how to react. Nobody had asked him that before, normally they just decided they were going to foster him. Knowing they were probably just doing it to seem nice in front of Mrs Drue, he said, "Yeah sure," 

Wilbur pumped his fist and let out a, "Yes!" whilst even Techno gave a small smile. Phil smiled at him and then they all left leaving Tommy alone in the room. 

Now that they were gone he let out a sigh of relief, bringing his knees up to his chest. He rested his head on his knees, focusing on keeping his breathing steady. They seemed nice. But they all did at first, Tommy of all people knew how deceptive people could be. And he always seemed to bring out the worst in people. They may seem nice on the surface but he knew that it could change in an instant with the flip of a switch. 

Hope you guys liked the first chapter, tell me where you want me to go with this story!

Stay safe and remember you are cared for and loved!

Word count: 1068