Chapter 40: I Will Win

Over the past several years, Taehyung has meandered to the border to see if that alpha ever came back, but he always finds the border empty. He knows that the neighboring pack has been fighting off several packs that have been trying to conquer them.

So, tonight Taehyung is surprised when he smells the scent of the alpha guard. The 16-year-old alpha springs from his bed and leaves his home. As he races to the border, the crunching of the fallen leaves beneath his paws echoes throughout the forest, sending the nesting birds flying into the starry night sky. The crisp fall breeze is blowing the scent of the alpha towards him.

When he reaches the border, the silver alpha skids to a stop and looks around for the guard. He watches as the alpha limps out from the shadows. Taehyung softly whines when he sees the injured alpha.

As Jungkook looks at the silver wolf, he is surprised by how large the younger alpha has grown. Taehyung's worried whines seem to soothe the pain in Jungkook's body. As he had slowly limped to the border, he had wondered why he was coming to the border. After seeing the silver wolf, he knew that he came because he wanted to see the silver wolf.

Taehyung wants to cross over the border and take care of the injured alpha, but he knows that he can't. So he lies down in the fallen leaves and whines as he wags his tail with worry. To his surprise, the black wolf lies down as well and continues to look at him.

The longer Taehyung gazes into the older alpha's eyes, he notices that there are golden sparks flaring in the red eyes of the alpha. His ears twitch in curiosity as he stares into the red eyes with golden sparks.

As the hours pass by, the two alphas never break eye contact. For Jungkook, there is something comforting about the younger alpha. For once, someone does not look at him with fear. He sees curiosity, worry, and fondness dancing in the silver wolf's eyes. For once, someone's scent does not turn sour with fear. The silver wolf's scent is sweet like spring. Jungkook takes a deep breath and savors the lavender and coconut scent wafting in the air. It is soft and warm, something Jungkook is not used to.

A howl from Jungkook's pack causes the large, black wolf to spring to his feet. Taehyung whines when he sees Jungkook slump back to the ground in pain. Jungkook looks at the worried silver wolf and softly chuffs to let the worried wolf know that he is ok.

Once Jungkook is standing, he quickly limps away to answer the howl of his pack. Taehyung worriedly barks, causing Jungkook to turn around and swish his tail. Taehyung watches with worry as Jungkook disappears back into the shadows.

"Is everything ok?" Namjoon asks when Taehyung walks back into their home.

"I think something happened in the neighboring pack." Taehyung answers as he worriedly bites his lower lip.

"M'kay. I'll call Minho hyung to see what is going on." Namjoon mutters and calls the Alpha. He is worried because his son's scent is distressed; therefore, he smells of burnt coconut. "Hyung, is something happening to the Ignis Pack?" Namjoon asks Minho once the phone is answered.

Taehyung grows nervous when he sees his father's jaw tick in worry. He knows that the wolf from earlier is badly injured.

"What happened?" Taehyung asks once Namjoon hangs up.

"Another Alpha from another pack has challenged the Alpha of the Ignis Pack. This is the tenth alpha to challenge him in four days." Namjoon answers while Taehyung hangs onto his every word.

"So, he's been fighting to protect his pack from other packs while having to fight in personal fights. Is Samchon going to do anything to help?" Taehyung asks with worry.

"Yes, he's leaving to the Inter-Pack Counsel to ask them to put a stop to it. Ignis keeps getting attacked because they have access to many precious gems and metals. The Alpha of Ignis is illegitimate. The past Alpha was his father who was killed by the current Alpha's older brother who was heir to the pack. The older brother challenged the past Alpha for the spot and ended up killing the past Alpha. Then, that new Alpha died in battle two months ago. Now, this new Alpha is being challenged over and over again by other alphas from his own pack and other packs since he is illegitimate. I've met the current Alpha before. I thought he was older than he really is since he is a true blood. I thought he was around fifteen years older than you then I found out that he's eight years older than you." Namjoon explains while Taehyung intently listens.