Chapter 42: Maturing

On Hoseok's 25th birthday, his father leads him to his office to talk. From his face, Hoseok knows that his father does not want to say what he is about to say.

"It's ok, Appa. You can tell me." Hoseok softly tells his worried and stressed father.

"I love you so much, and all that I want for you is your happiness ..."

"But?"

"But the Council is pushing that you find a mate. They prefer a female alpha or any gender omega. I am very sorry. I know that you love Yoongi. This is the conversation that I have always dreaded as I raised you. I am so sorry." Minho whispers and looks down at his hands as a tear trickles down his face. He wants to protect his son from everything, but this is the one thing that he cannot protect Hoseok from.

"Appa, it's ok. I knew this was coming. I've already made a list that I don't mind choosing from." Hoseok hugs his crying father. "You and Eomma are happy. I am sure that I will end up being happy." Hoseok gently pats his father's back as the older alpha cries.

"I am so sorry that I can't protect you from this." Minho cries and wraps his son in his arms.

"It's ok. I have had an idea most of my life that this would happen. I am not mad at you. I am beyond grateful that you are my Appa. You are the best Appa that I could have ever wished for." Hoseok comforts his father and looks out the window at the cold, February weather.

"I have loved my sweet son since the first moment I heard your heartbeat."

"I love you too, Appa."

"Have fun with your friends today. Don't worry about this until tomorrow. We will talk about this later. Ok?" Minho sniffles and gently cups his son's face.

"Ok." Hoseok nods and smiles.

"You are the sweetest and smartest pup."

"Appa, I'm 25." Hoseok laughs when his father calls him a pup.

"You are still my little Hoseokie." Minho chuckles and walks out of the office with Hoseok.

"Yah! Hobi hyung, where did you run off to?" Taehyung shouts and drags Hoseok back to the party.

As the birthday party continues, Yoongi notices that Hoseok is not smiling as much as normal, so he drags his friend to a balcony and shuts the doors.

"What's wrong?" Yoongi asks and hands Hoseok a beer.

"I have to look for a mate." Hoseok answers with a sigh then takes a big drink from his beer.

"Hmm, ok. I am guessing from your face that you knew this was going to happen eventually." Yoongi mumbles as he observes Hoseok's facial expressions.

"Yeah, what hurt the most was watching my father cry. I know he has been trying his hardest to get rid of that rule, but the Council is filled with old idiots." Hoseok sighs and looks at the snowy meadow that is surrounding his home.

"Do you have someone you have feelings for?" Yoongi can tell that there is another reason why Hoseok does not want to find a mate.

"Yeah, but I'm not going to tell them. It will just make them feel guilty because they do not feel the same way." Hoseok mutters and continues to look off in the distance.

"That makes sense. I've never liked anyone, so I don't know what it is like to hold it in. But I can guess that it is painful." Yoongi nods in understanding, not realizing that Hoseok is talking about him.

"They are denser than a door knob." Hoseok chuckles and shakes his head as Yoongi continues to stay oblivious.

"Whoever it is, is missing out. I know that you would love them unconditionally." Yoongi smiles and looks at Hoseok.