Warm Milk

Regressed Matthew.

Maybe Alahna was in over her head?

She sat back with Matthew straddling her lap, he was slowly drifting to sleep, his face stuffed in her neck, taking in her unique, clean scent.

She rubbed his back slowly, feeling his hands cling to her shirt. She rocked him back and forth, never missing a moment to quickly shush any whine he made.

"It's okay..." she mumbled whenever he shifted or began to open his eyes. She really needed him to stay asleep. For crying out loud he hadn't got a single decent night's sleep in weeks.

"Momma!" He cried as he attempted to sit up, she patted his back once again and kissed his forehead, "you need to sleep baby." She sighed.

Nick entered the room, almost beginning to talk, but quickly stopped himself, "Oh I'm sorry!" He apologized before quickly leaving. He understood that this was her taking up on her word.

She was going to get him to relax and get some sleep in sooner or later.

Chris knelt outside the door scrolling mindlessly on his phone, "I told you not to go in there." He scoffed as Nick took a seat beside him. "Do you think he'll rest?" Nick asked with a sense of hope in his voice.

Chris turned his phone to the side, giving Nick his attention, "I don't know. He was screaming earlier when she tried to get him to sleep, now she is stuck to him." He sighed. Nick nodded, going back to his own phone.

They sat in silence, listening to Alahna in the other room with Matt, attempting to get him to fall asleep.

"Matty please baby, c'mon." She'd whisper, Chris and Nick winced when they heard Matthew break down and began crying louder.

An obvious sign of a nightmare.

She tried everything, soon coming to terms that she was going to be stuck in that room with him all day.

Chris made a bottle and entered the room, soon leaving afterwards, trying to see if the bottle would be any help.

They already tried the pacifier and bottle trick, but maybe today's outcome would change.

She laid back with his body draped over her. She slipped the bottle into his mouth and waited for him to learn how to suck, needing a bit of comforting words to get him started.

"That's it baby, drink the milk." She whispered, kissing his cheek.

He hummed as he drank the milk, the warm liquid making him feel smaller and more relaxed.

His eyes started to flutter as tears still ran down his puffed cheeks. She smiled seeing that it was doing the trick, "good job baby." She cooed.

She was amazed at how easy the task became, soon Chris and Nick came in and sat beside her watching Matthew sleep peacefully.

They smiled at each other, proud of themselves.