Chapter 5: Dependable Loudmouth

Shota POV

*17:00*

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

"SHOOOOOOTA."

Damn loudmouth, I reluctantly make my way to the front door. "Hiz, why are you here?"

After hearing Hizashi's voice, Kai makes his way toward the excitable blonde. Hizashi picks up the orange haired tabby, holds him like a baby, "Did you hit your head today?" I mean kind-of when I was man-handled by Reed. "We are going to Echo, come-on we need to get you ready."

"You're an hour early and I am ready." As I lazily gesture to my attire: black long sleeve tee, black denim pants, and black boots.

Hizashi pinches the bridge of his nose, "*sigh* Sho, you're going to a bar, not a stealth mission. AND, might I add..."

"You may not." I deadpan.

"AND, might I add, you gotta' dress for success~" He wiggles his eyebrows.

Rolling my eyes, "Hiz, it's a bar, not a fashion show."

"Well, it was my understanding that you had a thing for a certain new assistant teacher." He pauses and looks at me mischievously. "But, I guess, if that's not the case...then I can try my luck with her."

With clenched fists and tense jaw, I glare at him.

"HA, I thought so." he says with a shit-eating grin.

He puts down the orange furball, starts walking towards my room and I grudgingly trail behind. The doors to my closet swing open and suddenly clothes are thrown everywhere as Hizashi scours the wardrobe.

"UGH, you know there are colors other than black, Sho." He says dramatically, with an exasperated expression. I respond by shrugging my shoulders.

He huffs at me. "I guess this will work." He hands me a dark blue button up, black dress pants, a belt, and brown wingtip boots.

"I don't see the difference; this is dark too."

"This *he points to the clothes in my hand* looks like you're trying, that *points to what I have on* looks like a lonely night at home after the bar."

As I'm changing my clothes, he looks at me as says "Also, hair up. The mysterious homeless man look can only get you so far. She'll want to see you, not Cousin-It."

I jab his arm, "Ass... At least I don't spend a third of my salary to style my hair like a cockatiel."

Hiz returns the punch. "IT'S NOT A THIRD.........maybe like a quarter." We both look at each other and laugh.

"Thanks man." I say gently and give him a light punch to the arm.

He looks back, giving me an encouraging smile. I don't know what I'd do without you, you damn cockatiel.

As I finish tying back my hair, glancing at the final look in the mirror, I start to think about tonight, seeing Reed in an informal setting, the woman that I've been half-ass crushing over for the past 5 years. The few stories about her, that spiral around the underground, talk about her impressive creativity to think on her toes, her unmatched intelligence, and ability to command a squad of even the most rookie heroes, completing missions seamlessly, without casualties. I mean, sure some of her mission cases floating around could be built on exaggeration, everyone is fallible, but there is just something about her that just draws me in. Maybe it's the mystery that shrouds her, who knows.

But meeting her in person only confirms the feeling of being drawn in. I may outwardly express annoyance at being challenged, but when she bites back or says something to test my resolve, it sparks excitement, whether it be from my head or my head.