Chapter 22: Misunderstandings

A/N 

Ngl, these next couple chapters are going to have emotions everywhere. But not to worry folks, have faith in our two emotionally constipated idiots!

I really didn't proof read this that much because its literally 3AM and I thought *shrug* the last chapter hurt, this chapter will not fare much better. Might as well pack in the feels, like ripping off a bandaid.

-----

Raya POV

Making my way outside the building to get fresh air and calm myself down. I plop down on a bench a few meters away and release a frustrated sigh. We both got heated. But how dare he say that shit to me like I'm some green newbie with a crisp, freshly printed hero license. Ugh, jackass.

Even though he said some pretty hurtful things, my heart tugs. I just know something fueled his anger, unless he's just playing with my emotions and trying to use me like everyone else. Stopping that train of thought to really think. He's been the one there for me this whole time I've been here. Even though it seems like its not his outward demeanor, he always tries to comfort me when I'm low. He brought me back from spiraling into the darkness after that mission. He opened his doors and took care of me after the fire.

But... then why did he have to break me down in one fell swoop. I know he probably wasn't thinking when he said it...but it still hurts. When they died, I pushed myself every day until I exhausted so that I could become a strong hero, able to protect/rescue as many people as I can. The amount of blood, sweat, and tears that went into my training. I was pathetic before I took on a rigorous training schedule. I grew up fast because of the adversity I faced at such a young age.

Thinking for a second, these kids also had to grow up fast because of the adversity they faced. I guess they're learning to grow up fast too. Just like I had to. They didn't ask for it, neither did I. It doesn't happen overnight, I shouldn't have pointed out as much... I guess he was right. Pushing them to surpass their limits and obtain provisional licenses will give them the opportunity to get experience, in the field, to become better hero's in the future. If they can't cut it, they won't get their license. The hero commission isn't very lenient on those exams, regardless of power or lineage. Anybody can fail if they aren't up to standards.

I dip my head down into my palms and while releasing a long sigh, I hear footfalls behind me, closing in.

Speaking softly, I hear, "Hey, my ray of sunshine, are you okay?" Lifting my head, I'm met with two concerned eyes.

"I guess. I'm not really angry anymore...just... sad and confused." Toshi slides into the spot next to me and waits for me to speak. "I don't understand why he lashed out at me like that. It really hurt, Toshi." I look up at him with eyes slowly starting to fill, fighting back the tears from falling.

Toshi pulls me into a hug, bulking up into his All-Might form so that it completely envelops me. I feel safe. So much love, yet the dull aching in my chest persists. He sighs, then speaks, "I can't tell you exactly why, but knowing Aizawa for as long as I have, I know he didn't genuinely try to hurt you. He has his own demons he needs to face, and I think today he saw the result of suppressing those burdens, until they overflowed."

Clutching to his chest, now unable to stop the fall of tears streaming down my cheeks, "I-it still h-hurts Toshi. I m-miss them s-so m-m-much."

Pulling me in tighter, "I know rays, I know. You'll never be alone as long as I'm around. We will put their case to rest, get them justice, and allow them and ourselves to finally be at peace."