Chapter 10: Opening up

Nobody's POV

"And that's why you never make a bet with Nemuri." Shota finishes retelling a story from when he was younger and Hizashi lost to a bet with Nemuri. "I swear, even if he hears the word clover, you can visibly see a shiver run down his spine and he gets all tense." He laughs.

Raya giggles, "I'm guessing he doesn't partake in St. Patrick's Day festivities then?" Shota shakes his head unable to hold back a chuckle. "Y'all are close, despite driving each other insane, it's cute."

"I think more so, they're driving me insane. One of these days I'm just going to strap them together, gagged, and lock them in an abandoned classroom."

"Kinky~" Raya wiggles her eyebrows and Shota scoffs. "Shut up, you love them."

"Maybe I'm just a masochist and accept their torment." He says indifferently.

Raya retorts playfully, "having them bound and gagged sounds more like a preference for sadism to me." She smirks at him.

Shota looks at her out of the corner of his eye with a raised brow and a devilish smirk. He huffs a short laugh, "perhaps." Maybe you'd like to find out how accurate that statement is, kitten. He thinks.

*ping*

Raya looks down at her phone, her eyes grow wide, and color leaves her face.

"What's wrong?" Shota asks with concern.

"I...Someone...How" Unable to find her words and shows him the message instead.

Unknown Number

Leave Japan, Nova. Or should I say Ms.Reed?

If you don't leave by the end of the week, your identity will be made public.

Shota asks her a couple of questions, but Raya is just lost in her own thoughts. Trying to pick apart who could've sent the message. He rubs circles on her back trying to calm her.

"Well, I guess my identity was going to come out sooner or later. To be honest, I just never cared to be the center of attention and play for the cameras. But I do prefer my privacy..." She says with a dry laugh, but visibly shaken. Suddenly her demeanor shifts as she rereads the message, she focuses, "I only just got here, how do they even know and why would someone want me to leave?" She looks at Shota, "There are so many stronger, smarter, stealthier heroes than me in Japan. So why me specifically?"

"Maybe it has to do with that mission you came back from?" He proposes.

Her eyes widen as she comes to a realization. "Shit."

"What?"

Raya turns to look at Shota, she breathes out deeply, and closes her eyes as she pinches the bridge of her nose. "Do you remember the purple mist guy at the USJ attack?"

He looks at her surprised, "Of course, but how do you..."

She holds up her hand, so she can continue to explain. "Nezu debriefed me before he hired me, to prepare me for what I would be getting myself into. That villain was one of the reasons why I came to Japan." She looks at him and he is visibly confused. She sighs again, trying to hold back a dam of emotions, "When I was younger, I lost my parents..." She retells the story about how her parents died. Her eyes becoming increasingly glazed over the longer she talks.

When the story is over, she lifts her arm and wipes her eye, still trying to hold everything back. "Then, during the interrogation, I found out a suspect with a very similar quirk was involved. I thought it may have just been a coincidence. But now this text? And the timing of it all? Someone doesn't want me digging."