Chapter 17: We all have our flaws

Raya POV

Drifting between sleep and awaking, I feel like my body is floating, engulfed in a warm shroud. Hmm, I thought hospital beds were supposed to be uncomfortable.

You breathe in a mellow aroma of sandalwood, then proceed to nuzzle your nose into the comfortable warm cotton, but are startled when a hushed chuckle reverberates from the supposed pillow.

Slowly peaking one eye open, it immediately becomes apparent that you are no longer in the hospital bed. You had fallen asleep in the car after leaving the hospital and now are being carried by nonother than the scruffy homeroom teacher, Aizawa Shota.

Still a little lightheaded from the medications the nurse gave you before leaving, you almost missed the soft whisper, "Shh, I've got you. Recovery girl said I have to keep an eye on your healing for the next 24hrs and no quirk use. Toshinori has a meeting with the police chief so he's busy later, but he said he would take care of Gigi before heading out."

You don't want to be a burden to a man you essentially met a week ago. It's not fair to him, he doesn't need to take care of me, I'll be fine. I can take care of myself. I've been doing just that since high school.

"You don't have t-" you weakly begin to protest but are cut off by gentle shushes.

"I know I don't have to; but I want to." Shota looks down at you with a soft smile as he opens up an apartment door.

Completely oblivious that he just carried you to his front door, you are sill hung up on his words. It fills you with warmth. What... what is this feeling? You stare at him, looking in his eyes for the punchline, but only seeing sincerity...He really cares? Eh, he would do this for any coworker, right? You think.

Other than Toshi, you really haven't had people around that genuinely gave a shit about you. Everyone seems to always have an angle, only wanting you so that they can use you. It has been a consistent trend in my work life and in my personal life. Government agencies wanting to abuse the power of my quirk. And don't even get me started on the trauma that is my past relationship/dating history.

Normally you'd put up a fight if someone decided to carry you like some damsel in distress because it made you feel weak. Needing to rely on someone else, being a burden, useless. But for some reason, being in his arms just felt right. Not wanting to spoil the moment, you indulged. I don't know... he just makes me feel...safe.

He must've seen my eyes get glassy because he gives a reassuring squeeze and while maintaining an expressionless gaze, "Shh, its okay. Go back to sleep, I'll wake you just before dinner." He pushes open another door and softly places you in his bed. Shota lifts the blanket and wraps you into a tight warm burrito. Why does his mattress feel like I'm lying on a cloud? I never want to get up.

Eyes becoming heaving, trying to keep them open to savor this moment just a little longer but sleep wins and you drift off.

"Sleep well kitten, feel better."

...

A couple hours later, a savory aroma engulfs your senses, and you begin to gradually awaken.

Finally coming back to reality, you can finally take in your surroundings.

Oh, that's right...Shota said something about recovery girl ordering monitoring for the next 24hrs and Shota took me to his place.......Shota took me to his place....I....I'm in his house....laying in his bed. *internally smirks* wait... no brain stop it. You only went out with him on one date. Try not to rush things like you normally do...you know how that always ends...You alone in bed with a pint of coffee flavored haagen daz ice cream, crying over some Kyle-type motherfucker that couldn't even get you off and/or refusing to reciprocate head because "going down on a female is just gross" *Rolls eyes* at internal thoughts. Mentally scolding yourself from your past mistakes, you begin to come back to reality.