Chapter 15: Flyin' high, don't get too close to the sun

Raya POV

"Ugghh" I groan softly as the morning light begins to wake me up. Still disoriented, it takes me a while to realize where I am. The smell of antiseptic invades my nose and my face scrunches up in response. Damn what happened... I think as I try to recall my last memory before I ended up in what I suspect is the hospital.

I begin to peek one eye open, adjusting to the light. Then the other eye opens. My vision blurs for a bit until I blink a couple times. Yeah, it's a hospital.

Suddenly, slight movement catches my peripheral vision. I turn to the sleeping man sitting uncomfortably in the chair using his scarf as a pillow propped against the headrest. I smile softly at the scene.

My head still feels cloudy and as I shift in the bed, I feel an object laying beside me. A long wire with a button attached. Now on a good day, the rational part of my brain would know that this is probably for delivering pain relieving medication. But unfortunately for today my head is clouded, I'm exhausted, and the ADHD-trainwreck side is now in control.

So... obviously, all I can think about is that I have to press that button. I mean who wouldn't? It's a bright red button, screaming to be pressed. Placing the device in my hand, I press the red circle.

*Ding*

The medication makes its way into my body and not even 10 seconds later I feel like I'm sitting on a light fluffy cloud.

Giggles make its way past my lips. Completely uninhibited, I click the button again, giving zero shits about anything else other than clicking that button that delivers the happy juice into my body.

*Ding*

Now focused on the lovely dinging sound being made every time I press the button, I click it three times in rapid succession.

*Ding, Ding, Ding*

I giggle again at the funny noise; unaware I just awoke the sleeping hero. A groan sounds from my left, but I'm so completely hyper-fixated with the red button playing music to my ears and making my feel floaty that I still don't notice his now awakened state.

Holding the button in front of me, with a wide grin on my face, I click it again a couple times, now saying "boop" every time its pressed.

*Ding, Ding, -Beep*

"Oh no, where'd the ding go?" I worriedly ask the inanimate object.

3rd Person POV

After rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Shota opens his eyes to see who woke him up. Not expecting to see Raya awake, his eyes widen when he realizes she's conscious and speaking.

Seeing the look of concern on her face, he quickly gets up and asks, "Raya, are you okay? What's wrong? Are you in pain? Do you need me to get the nurse?" His brows knot together, showing anxiety in his features, worried about her condition.

Raya, now aware of his presence, turns to Shota and displays the button to his face and says exasperated, "SHO-SHO! T-the b-b-bbutton stopping ding-ding-ing! Look!" She presses it repeatedly.

*Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep*

She looks at him, eyes widened and glassy. His face falls in disbelief and he pinches the bridge of his nose.

He deadpans, " You maxed out on pain medication..." Shaking his head, coming to terms with how high she is right now.

Not even listening to his rational explanation for her "dilemma," she continues, "Y-you gotta call the hero commission, the CIA, Seal Team 6, Interpol, to get to the bottom of this." Raya gives him a serious expression.