Chapter 23: Communication is key

A/N

Happy New Year, dear readers! Hope you enjoy the new chapter!

--- 

Raya POV

"I know we said we couldn't trace who sent the threatening text. But we were able to back track the serial number to the store that sold it. Look at this." The tech typed into his computer prompting a video to enlarge onto the screen. "This is moments after the purchase was made. Camera's across the street capture the store front."

A tall man with broad shoulders, in a grey hoodie with the hood over his head, walks out of the electronics store and shifts into the ally way beside the building.

"We can't even see his face, ugh. This is garbage." You frustratingly exclaim. Turning away from the monitor, annoyed that they wasted your time for nothing. Got your hopes up for nothing. "I don't know why you dragged me down he-"

"Wait for it..." You quickly turn back to the screen and wait for something...anything to happen.

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. THERE... oh my god.

"Replay, 0.5x speed. I need to make sure that I'm not seeing things."

The tech rewinds the video back a couple seconds and changes the video speed. Seconds later, on the screen, there it is, a purple mist enveloping the shadow of the man that just left the electronics store.

"The league of villains." I utter under my breath. I lift my head to look at Hawks, "They were trying to blackmail me? We either have a leak or the suspect I interrogated was somehow able to get out word that I was the one involved in his lovely four day stay. But a leak is more likely since we put that suspect in witness protection, withholding his location and changing his name, since he spilled the beans on the leagues plans."

Hawks cringes and says, "Yeahhh, about that... the guy is dead."

"What?!"

"Was found in his cell hanging, but he had wounds on his hands that couldn't have been self-inflicted, suggesting they were defensive wounds." He explains.

"Great. A traitor amongst us." Taking a seat, I let out a deep sigh.

"Few know about this..." Hawks waits for the tech to leave the room. "Before beginning the case, given the high profile target *he gestures to you*, the tech signed consent for memory erasure, if needed. So the only people that are aware of this are in this room, and the hero commissions head honcho. That being said, the situation involving the league is being addressed."

"What does that mean?"

"I'm sorry, its classified."

"You can't seriously be pulling that bullshit with me. They blackmailed me and may be in connection to a double homicide back in the states."

"Your parents."

Your eyes widen and you send a piercing glare towards Hawks, "How did yo-"

"This isn't my fist day on the job, birdie. I've been doing this shit before I could even understand basic multiplication."

"So what, since last week then? I don't understand your point." You spit, purple flickers of light dance around you.

"Thats my point" He points to the lights around you. "You can't stay objective. You're too close to this. We will let you know when information pertains to you or your safety, but we can't let you be involved in the investigation."

"Thats bullshit. I can stay objective. If I couldn't, I would've probably killed myself the first week I was told to carry out an interrogation because of how dark they can get. Especially the kind of shit y'all allow here in Japan."