040. rock show

The four are in the Impala and Dean is driving. They're on their way to L.A. after Cas and Crowley got a lead on Lucifer who is still possessing Vince Vincente.

Daphne is asleep, her head resting on Billy's shoulder, and he's on his phone, one earbud in.

"All right. 450 miles to L.A. Land of gridlock, Botox, overtaxing, underachieving, smell of sweaty desperation. I mean, you can't breathe. The beaches are toxic. You got dudes in skinny jeans wearing sunglasses inside. Oh."

"Image obsessed narcissists. I do like the yoga pants, though. When was the last time we were in L.A.? About 10 years ago, doing a vengeful spirit? Man, that seems like forever ago. Doesn't it? Hey." Dean hits Sam's arm. "Tryin' to talk to you here."

"What?" Sam asks, taking his earbuds out.

"You... what are you listening to?" Dean asks.

"Uh, podcast. Why?" Sam asks.

"All right, well... I need something to keep me awake, so crank it up." Dean says.

"I mean, it's a history podcast." Sam says.

"Well, I like history, you know? Gladiators and outlaws, pirates. Hell, we're driving a piece of history right here." Dean says.

"N-Not that kind of history. This is a, uh... it's a podcast on the history of the Protestant Reformation. A multipart exploration of each of Martin Luther's 95 theses."

"Oh."

"Yeah, that's what I thought." Sam puts the earbuds back in. Dean yanks the earbuds out of the phone, a Vince Vincente song playing.

"Oh, Sam."

"Dude."

"Hair rock? Really?"

"It's not hair--"

"Come on."

"It's not hair rock, Dean. It's hard rock. It's legitimate hard rock."

"Wow."

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

"Yeah, or a dude by his, uh, rainbow wig and leopard prints."

"Rainbow wig? What? You know what? I'm done apologizing. Lucifer possessed Vince Vincente. This is Vince Vincente's music, so listening to it is research."

"No. No."

"As a matter of fact... study up, Dean." Sam turns the volume up.

"No, no. No. I don't wanna listen to it."

"You like it."

"No. No, no, no. No. Turn it off."

"It'll grow on ya."

The loud volume wakes Daphne up, the girl quietly groaning. Billy sighs, yanking his earphone out, giving both of them to Daphne who puts them in, falling back asleep.

+++

The four hunters are waiting in the lobby of the hotel. Sam is in an arm chair while the siblings and Dean are on the couch.

Dean stares at Sam in disgust as he gets cucumber water out of the dispenser.

"What?" Sam asks, seeing his brother's look. "It's good."

"It's vegetable water." Dean retorts.

"Sam, Dean." They turn to see Cas walk over.

"Hey." Dean greets, the four standing up. "You consider switching up your duds there? Bit stiff for this town."