046. sam's accomplices

Sam and the siblings are sitting at the map table when Dean walks in.

"Dead guy in Akron. Body found two days ago. Throat ripped out, ear to ear." Dean says.

"Well, good morning to you, too." Sam says.

"Read it." Dean tells Sam who reads the article.

"The guy was a-a known drug dealer with enemies. His throat wasn't ripped out. It was slit with a knife. I'm not really sure this is our kind of thing." Sam says.

"We don't know that. His blood could've been drained." Dean says.

"It could've been?" Sam asks.

"You know what? You find us a case. Cause I need to hit something. Now."

"You wanna talk about it?"

"Not really. What was she thinkin', man?"

"I don't know. Maybe we should ask her."

"What?"

"Look, I-I am pissed and-and frustrated and confused, too. But we've frozen her out for days."

"She lied to us, Sam."

"I know."

"For months."

"I know, but it's mom. I mean, whatever she was doing, she must've had a good reason."

"A good reason? A good reason for working with those ass clowns?"

"All right, you know what? Screw it. I need a drink." Dean grabs his jacket.

"You--" Sam heavily sighs.

"No, I need drinks. Plural." Dena corrects. "And this whole peacemaker shtick that you've been running, first with Cas, now with mom, it's getting old, man."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're always playing the middle, Sam. For once, why don't you pick a side?" Dean leaves, the three left in awkward silence.

"You wanna go see a movie?" Daphne asks.

"Yes." Billy nods, the two quickly getting up and leaving.

+++

"You don't think that... that Sam and Dean are gonna work with the Brits, do you?" Daphne asks as her and Billy sit in the diner and eat.

"I don't know." Billy quietly says.

"Well... wh-what if they do? I mean, do... do we stop talking to them?"

"Look, Daph, whether... whether they do or don't work with the Brits, they wouldn't do anything to endanger us. I mean, it's not like they're gonna stick you and-and Toni or-or Mick in a room together and let 'em just have at you."

"Well, thanks for that image." Daphne mutters, popping a fry in her mouth.

"Sorry." Billy mumbles. "If they work with them or if they don't, I'm not letting anything else happen. Okay? I promise. And Sam and Dean will protect you too."

"Okay." Daphne mumbles and nods. "But if we're ever around them, please don't let me leave your sight."

"Trust me, that's not happening with or without them around." Billy says making Daphne slightly smile.

+++

Sam and Dean get back to the bunker and go into the library where Daphne and Billy are. Both siblings grimace at Dean's bloody appearance.

"Hoo-hoo! Back to back to back. That was one for the books." Dean says.

"Yeah." Sam mutters.

"Man." Dean holds up a baseball wrapped in barbed wire. "Dad would love this thing." He drops it onto the table.